I don't know what I did wrong.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I uploaded a new video on my channel and I was experimenting with the style of content I wanted to upload. I had a video out where I just recorded some GTA Gameplay and I was very Vulgar, which people seemed to like, but it made me feel really guilty resorting to harsh words inorder to get views. I recently tried to upload a informational kind of video, which got views (at least for my standards) but failed to resonate with people as it's gained 3 dislikes, and NO likes. I don't understand. Should I find a balance of aggressive behavior and being polite? Im not asking for a quick fix that will get everyone to like me. I just want to better understanding what people like. Thanks.

Mikes

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I had a video out where I just recorded some GTA Gameplay and I was very Vulgar, which people seemed to like, but it made me feel really guilty resorting to harsh words inorder to get views. Should I find a balance of aggressive behavior and being polite?
How do you know that profanity will give you more views? Personality isn't something that can really be figured out until you actually go into the creator's video (unless many viewers already know you). Besides that, correct me if I'm wrong, but based on that sentence, it seems that getting views/likes comes before figuring out what content you really like to make. I'm not saying that you don't/can't do both, but I think your primary concern should be creating the type of content that meets your standards, then see how you can convince others about it or find an audience that likes it.

No need to feel guilty about it. You're still experimenting, and that's great! You should continue to find and establish the direction for your channel and its content; it's not so much a case of deciding whether to be more polite or aggressive -- just be yourself. I know that's pretty cliche and overused, but it definitely fits the situation.

Don't resort to doing things for the sake of chasing views. Honestly, views and positive reception should come second to the actual content. Catering to your viewers is a great thing, but just make sure it isn't the the force that drives what content you make.

I just want to better understanding what people like.
As for better understanding what your viewers like, you could separate the videos that were generally well-received and the ones that weren't. Unfortunately, the thing about this is that it's too general; how do you know exactly what it was about certain content that people liked/disliked? Did they just like that it was a GTA gameplay? Was it your personality? With nothing but likes and views to base this from, that can be pretty hard.

Based on your videos, it seems that you just started uploading content recently, right? If so, then no worries; you're essentially establishing an identity for your channel right now. If you've been making videos for quite a while, however, then people might not like you going off on totally different directions than you established.

Keep experimenting and doing more of the content that you do in order to get a better assessment. We don't actually know if the people that gave some videos a thumbs down disliked for the sake of doing it, or actually didn't like the content in the video. The same goes for likes!

Remember, at the end of the day, there's a niche for a lot of content on YouTube. If your current audience doesn't like the content that you enjoy making, you can still create that niche and find that audience. I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it happens! Content first; views and viewers later. They're both very important, but one is more than the other.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How do you know that profanity will give you more views? Personality isn't something that can really be figured out until you actually go into the creator's video (unless many viewers already know you). Besides that, correct me if I'm wrong, but based on that sentence, it seems that getting views/likes comes before figuring out what content you really like to make. I'm not saying that you don't/can't do both, but I think your primary concern should be creating the type of content that meets your standards, then see how you can convince others about it or find an audience that likes it.

No need to feel guilty about it. You're still experimenting, and that's great! You should continue to find and establish the direction for your channel and its content; it's not so much a case of deciding whether to be more polite or aggressive -- just be yourself. I know that's pretty cliche and overused, but it definitely fits the situation.

Don't resort to doing things for the sake of chasing views. Honestly, views and positive reception should come second to the actual content. Catering to your viewers is a great thing, but just make sure it isn't the the force that drives what content you make.

As for better understanding what your viewers like, you could separate the videos that were generally well-received and the ones that weren't. Unfortunately, the thing about this is that it's too general; how do you know exactly what it was about certain content that people liked/disliked? Did they just like that it was a GTA gameplay? Was it your personality? With nothing but likes and views to base this from, that can be pretty hard.

Based on your videos, it seems that you just started uploading content recently, right? If so, then no worries; you're essentially establishing an identity for your channel right now. If you've been making videos for quite a while, however, then people might not like you going off on totally different directions than you established.

Keep experimenting and doing more of the content that you do in order to get a better assessment. We don't actually know if the people that gave some videos a thumbs down disliked for the sake of doing it, or actually didn't like the content in the video. The same goes for likes!

Remember, at the end of the day, there's a niche for a lot of content on YouTube. If your current audience doesn't like the content that you enjoy making, you can still create that niche and find that audience. I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it happens! Content first; views and viewers later. They're both very important, but one is more than the other.
Thanks this is great advice!

Reactions: Mikes

BzTv

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
Hey I would say absolutely be yourself!!! If your personalty is a mixture then do that.. Try not to wander to far from who you really are.. My thoughts have always been to attract viewer who are really interested in my brand and who I am and my personalty!! just stay true and you'll do great!! :) I hope this helped

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Something I read from a PewDiePie AMA on reddit is that when asked the question "Do you act like that outside of YouTube?" (In regards to his freaking out on camera and loud manner). He responded with something like "I don't fake anything but I do exaggerate my reaction." He also pointed out that he does not act all crazy in real life.

So my advice to you is definitely be yourself but be the most entertaining version of yourself. Jacksepticeye and Markiplier are very popular and they swear all the time. Their personalities on camera feel genuine and you believe that they are just being themselves even though they, too, have an "on-screen" personality.

I think you should continue to do what gets you views as long as it's YOU. If you cuss in real life then do it in your videos, if you don't cuss in real life but do it on YouTube for views then that seems wrong to me.

It's a struggle, keep grinding though! Hope you find what works best for you and your channel. Thanks for your advice on my other posts btw.

LostTrigger

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
the key is to just be yourself, people are attracted to a multitude of different things so build your audience around the person you want to be

Reactions: Quick Question