I don't believe subscriber count matters

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've been on YouTube for oveer a year now, and during that time my subscriber count has been going up gradually, more than 3 a day. Now I have almost 1,300 subscribers, which may lead some to believe that I'm getting that many views per video. However, that's just not happening. What's going on is that people find my channel, watch it for a little while, then grow bored and stop watching my content.

About 3 months ago I made a vlog saying I was getting around 70 views per video from subscriber modules, and that's still about true today. That doesn't mean that new people aren't coming, just that whenever one does, an old viewer stops. This is fairly evident; go throught he comment sections of your old videos, see who was watching, and think if you've heard from them lately. I've done this, and almost always find old faces who no longer follow me. Normal subscriber growth is ineffective, because as new people follow you, the old ones simply fall off.

This leads me to believe that the only way to truly grow and become successful is to properly manage your online presence; share videos on facebook/twitter/reddit/tumblr, use strong tags to get more views through searches, and hope it goes viral.

There are just random thoughts I've been having. Any thoughts on this?

Frassmiles

ಠ_ಠ
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey there.

They may matter in the long run as there are still a good amount of the subscribers that is willing to watch your content. I mean take a look at Ray William Johnson for example xD, he has like at least 6 million subscribers. Yet he gets 2 million views on his 2nd video and yeah you get what I mean :).

However this doesn't mean that one should rely on them to watch their videos. I agree with what you said about sharing your videos, putting tags in etc. I do that for most of my videos :)

Reactions: ForeverAlonePrick

F*CKINGENIOUS

Movie freaks unite!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Reviewer
I wouldn't know anything about all that as I hardly have an audience at all, but to be honest after reading tons of stuff on this site the past few weeks I feel like people are way too focused on money and subs. Those are excellent bonuses I'm sure but shouldn't it be more about the passion a person has for what they do? This may have been the wrong thread to express this thought in, it has just finally spilled out after having been rolling around in my head for a few weeks now.

ZombieSegway

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There was a big subscription glitch where a lot of people were not recieving videos in their sub box from certain people, maybe that has a part to play in it

RogueNinja

Reviewer, no longer gaming :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
tbh i think its a 50/50 wether people will watch subbed or not i have 75 subs and only get round 20 views its a mindfudge but ya deal with it i guess

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey there.

They may matter in the long run as there are still a good amount of the subscribers that is willing to watch your content. I mean take a look at Ray William Johnson for example xD, he has like at least 6 million subscribers. Yet he gets 2 million views on his 2nd video and yeah you get what I mean :).

However this doesn't mean that one should rely on them to watch their videos. I agree with what you said about sharing your videos, putting tags in etc. I do that for most of my videos :)
That's true, but keep in mind that RWJ has a name brand; people actively seek him out. Plus, pretty much everybody's heard of him, so he has secure traffic in that sense. He has a large amount of networking. Plus, when you only get a fraction of your sub base watching, but that fraction is of a large pie, it really helps things out.[DOUBLEPOST=1354756300,1354756225][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wouldn't know anything about all that as I hardly have an audience at all, but to be honest after reading tons of stuff on this site the past few weeks I feel like people are way too focused on money and subs. Those are excellent bonuses I'm sure but shouldn't it be more about the passion a person has for what they do? This may have been the wrong thread to express this thought in, it has just finally spilled out after having been rolling around in my head for a few weeks now.
I agree. I'm not too focused on money or subscribers, but viewers. I share my thoughts, and like it when they reach the largest amount of people as possible. Then again, these things don't hurt, they just aren't good as ideals to strive for.

Stef

STEF SZN
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Maybe you should do something to keep them from getting bored.

itspvptime

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I think it does matter because usually at least 20% of them watch your videos (if they are legit)...