I don’t sound enthusiastic..

KennelMaster

Reaction score
so I’m working on my first video, it’s building dog kennels animal houses etc and I’m seriously struggling to sound happy or entertaining in the slightest.

I have all my script ready and hyped up but as soon as I turn the camera on I seriously struggle to get any energy into my voice or actions and I feel boring.

Does anyone have any advice for this or how they dealt with it? Thanks

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I've been struggling with this same thing as well, but I will say that the more you practice talking in front of the camera, the easier it is. At least for me, the main issue was that I was nervous and very camera shy. Although it could be for a different reason for you.
I know there was a thread about what people do to get hyped up before filming. Maybe check out some of the people's responses on that.

Reactions: KennelMaster

Illuminated Nerd

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It does get easier with time. As you get subs/views your confidence will grow and it will show in your videos. My first video took 47 takes and I still feel I had many mistakes. Now I do my videos in a few takes and I worry less about it. I also have an energy drink before I start filming, if that's your thing.

If there's a way to break up your video into multiple scenes, that could help to make it easier.

My first video took a month to make, now I make them in 1-2 days. I was second guessing everything in my first video. At some point you just need to jump in feet first :)

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
well you don’t HAVE to be ‘happy’ just try to aim for at least energetic. I know it sounds strange but have you tried to hype yourself up physically? Like maybe doing jumping jacks/push-ups or dancing around in a really silly way to warm your self up and get some endorphins flowing?

Zephyr Sean

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I struggle with the same thing. I feel like I'm putting emotion into my recordings, but when I hear it back I seem a bit boring.

If I'm honest; it takes me a few retakes before I am happy enough with the outcome. On the bright side, we can only improve! :)

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yup I have some advice. You'll only get better when you practice. Talking in front of a camera sounds easy, but it isn't. The only way you're going to get better is repetition.

My first video I created 6 months ago makes me cringe, personally I think it sucks. I think my videos are better now, but imagine what I would think about them in a year! Keep at it, keep uploading and get a little better every time! You got this :thumbsup2:

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Lots of good advice from everyone so far.

I would just add - You are probably concentrating too much on remembering / reading your script and that is making your voice sound flat. Don't have a strict script. Have bullet points for the topics you want to cover and then talk about them. But don't read a script word for word.

Liam O’Doyle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Reviewer
Lots of good advice from everyone so far.

I would just add - You are probably concentrating too much on remembering / reading your script and that is making your voice sound flat. Don't have a strict script. Have bullet points for the topics you want to cover and then talk about them. But don't read a script word for word.
Agree with this! It will feel more natural if you’re saying it how you first feel it. Reading sounds robotic or at best rehearsed. It meeds to sound believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crown

Liam O’Doyle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Reviewer
Are you sitting down to film? Try standing up. Make some notes but not a script, and get standing up. You’ll be able to breath and talk more naturally and you’ll have a more energetic look about you. I made 5 videos over 2 months and didnt upload any of them. Then uploaded my 6th video and deleted the rest. Only release the content you’re proud of and care about. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Its weird at first, and it does feel weird. But so did walking and talking before you learned how i do it well. Keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk