I Changed My Content and People Hate It...

Kyle Laughlin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
1 year ago I started vlogging. It was almost instant growth (on a small scale). 9 months later I found my love in gaming videos. It's the first time I noticed myself truly doing something I enjoy that could lead to a future but I'm constantly questioning the why's.

My vlogs got support but the gaming videos, well it isn't going over well. How can someone grow away from this mental barrier that no one likes their change? As if the fb/twitter messages aren't enough asking why I don't vlog anymore (from more people than I even have subs?). It's such a road block seeing that growth, love and support... then poof gone. Hundred sometimes thousands of views now 10-20. And no growth in over 3 months since the change. Of course I just need to keep creating and people who genuinely like me with come but-

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you keep moving forward? Are there any good inspirational stories of bigger Youtubers who made it through this?

(If it matters it's definitely not a quality issue. My vlog camera was a horrible canon 330hs. My gaming set up I built to start gaming is the highest quality hardware and audio equipment I could afford, which I took on quite some debt as an investment in myself to buy)

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have not experienced this but have you considered doing both? Keeping up with your vlogging and create a separate channel for your games? Then if people like your vlogs and subscribe they can wander over to your game channel possibly and check that out too. Just a thought!

Kyle Laughlin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have not experienced this but have you considered doing both? Keeping up with your vlogging and create a separate channel for your games? Then if people like your vlogs and subscribe they can wander over to your game channel possibly and check that out too. Just a thought!
That's a great thought and it did cross my mind. But I always told myself I just want 1 channel. I know the whole multi channel thing is a topic within itself but for me it would feel like splitting my audience. Which I just want one genuine YT family who likes what I do, not a split. Maybe I'm just weird lol. I'd love to keep vlogging important events here and there but I can see now my indecisive self getting stressed between 2 channels haha. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Reactions: Blunt Brittany

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You promised one thing and then changed to another, that is a hard transition, i would be p****d if movie makers just started playing video games, so i'm sure your vlog subs are not happy at all.

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do what you like man. If its good content more people will come. Maybe toss in a vlog now and then when you have time. But if you enjoy playing video games and making those videos do it! Im sure its tough getting all these messages talking about how you changed, but your real fans will stick with you no matter what direction you go in.

Reactions: Kyle Laughlin

Kyle Laughlin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do what you like man. If its good content more people will come. Maybe toss in a vlog now and then when you have time. But if you enjoy playing video games and making those videos do it! Im sure its tough getting all these messages talking about how you changed, but your real fans will stick with you no matter what direction you go in.
I appreciate the encouraging words man! Definitely means a lot to see some uplifting words. After making however many vlogs I did and feeling the stress of it in everyday life I absolutely love the gaming side of youtube. I can walk away from my computer stress free instead of carrying a camera with me 24/7 never knowing when something worth filming is about to happen. Fun but tiring haha.

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I appreciate the encouraging words man! Definitely means a lot to see some uplifting words. After making however many vlogs I did and feeling the stress of it in everyday life I absolutely love the gaming side of youtube. I can walk away from my computer stress free instead of carrying a camera with me 24/7 never knowing when something worth filming is about to happen. Fun but tiring haha.
yeah dude i dont think i could ever do the vlog life because people expect a video like everyday, and how many people can do something entertaining for people to watch everyday of their life? I mean the most exciting part of my day is the gym, but then to record an hour workout edit it throw music on it, and talk over it...holy s**t the amount of time that would take! Do what you like, and if you have passion behind it people will start watching.

Kyle Laughlin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
yeah dude i dont think i could ever do the vlog life because people expect a video like everyday, and how many people can do something entertaining for people to watch everyday of their life? I mean the most exciting part of my day is the gym, but then to record an hour workout edit it throw music on it, and talk over it...holy s**t the amount of time that would take! Do what you like, and if you have passion behind it people will start watching.
Haha yeah it seems like if you don't have an amazing life, money and/or do crazy stuff it's a tough life for a new vlogger. Gaming videos are definitely not for everyone but it's awesome you found a good balance with it! Keep enjoying what you do too.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
1 year ago I started vlogging. It was almost instant growth (on a small scale). 9 months later I found my love in gaming videos. It's the first time I noticed myself truly doing something I enjoy that could lead to a future but I'm constantly questioning the why's.

My vlogs got support but the gaming videos, well it isn't going over well. How can someone grow away from this mental barrier that no one likes their change? As if the fb/twitter messages aren't enough asking why I don't vlog anymore (from more people than I even have subs?). It's such a road block seeing that growth, love and support... then poof gone. Hundred sometimes thousands of views now 10-20. And no growth in over 3 months since the change. Of course I just need to keep creating and people who genuinely like me with come but-

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you keep moving forward? Are there any good inspirational stories of bigger Youtubers who made it through this?

(If it matters it's definitely not a quality issue. My vlog camera was a horrible canon 330hs. My gaming set up I built to start gaming is the highest quality hardware and audio equipment I could afford, which I took on quite some debt as an investment in myself to buy)
I really wouldn't worry about your views mate. I mean you have videos that are as old as mine and you have waaaaaay more views than my most popular video lol. But on the content side of things, I would say just remove yourself from what the end goal is for a second (millions of subs and money to make a living doing what you love, let's be honest we ALL want that) and just think about what makes you really happy, and if that's gaming then so be it. I don't know anything about gaming channels or vlogs but it's your channel, and viewers are getting content for free, so if they don't like it they can of course leave, that is their perogative. Bottom line is your channel is young and has almost 200 subs, so there is room for change. Good luck ☺

Reactions: Kyle Laughlin