I am trying to sell merch on YouTube but it isn't selling

LeonardoParker

Reaction score
Hi! I am a small content creator (~15k Subs) and I have recently decided to create a merch store. My channel is centred in Star Wars related content so I got an artist to design a range of Star Wars related illustrations to be put on shirts. The store has only been up for a week but I have yet to receive a sale. I put a 10 second ad at the start of every video during this week which means the ad has been seen about 7k times. Are there any common things I'm doing wrong?

Ater

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
First of it's really hard to sell stuff, especially when you are not in front of them actually showing the product off and letting them tush it, feel it. Problem selling stuff is the reason so many companies default each year.

To my experience most smaller channels that succeed in selling merch are the once that really focus on building a community. Where you have a lot of lojal subscribers who watch and comment on every video and where the community aspect have picked up in a way where they start to integrate with each other.

Then let's say you always start your weekly Start Wars talk episode with "Good morning friends, when you lift up your merch cup with coffee and take a big sip in front of the camera. And then you say hey team I have this new channel cup that will be available for sale this month only so make sure to check out the store!". Then during the rest of the show you repeatable take sips of coffee from the cup in front of the camera while talking about Star Wars. To bring even more focus on the merch without overselling you can talk about coffee rather than the cup. "Oh this coffee is so good, just what I needed today!" and "what are your favoirte typ of coffee, let me know in the comments".

There is a other option that can work and that's what I call the business option. Let's say you run a business where you create flys for fly fishing that you sell online through your web store. Then you make a channel about fly fishing where you make videos, guides, tutorials etc all connected to fly fishing and make sure to market that store as the best source to get flys.

Booth way are really hard, if it was easy selling merch through YouTube everyone would be rich. Going to take hard work, a lot of time and dedication. But the more of a community or family you can build around your channel the bigger the chance someone will by one of your products.

Reactions: Min/Max Munchking

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

My advice would be to be very careful of trademark infringement. I'm pretty sure that there are licensing costs and legal issues for doing what you're doing.

Anyway, let's assume there aren't any legal issues - The problem could be that the merchant website isn't very good and it doesn't inspire confidence in the buyer or maybe the delivery costs are too high etc.

An alternative to selling the stuff yourself would be just to promote the merchandise that someone else is selling and get a commission for the referral. If it were me, I'd probably promote Amazon's products through their affiliate program. Everyone knows Amazon. The commissions are low but their site converts well.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
IDK, it seems to me though that selling Star Wars related merchandise would be highly competitive. You will probably start selling things eventually but it take a while.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
First of it's really hard to sell stuff, especially when you are not in front of them actually showing the product off and letting them tush it, feel it. Problem selling stuff is the reason so many companies default each year.

To my experience most smaller channels that succeed in selling merch are the once that really focus on building a community. Where you have a lot of lojal subscribers who watch and comment on every video and where the community aspect have picked up in a way where they start to integrate with each other.

Then let's say you always start your weekly Start Wars talk episode with "Good morning friends, when you lift up your merch cup with coffee and take a big sip in front of the camera. And then you say hey team I have this new channel cup that will be available for sale this month only so make sure to check out the store!". Then during the rest of the show you repeatable take sips of coffee from the cup in front of the camera while talking about Star Wars. To bring even more focus on the merch without overselling you can talk about coffee rather than the cup. "Oh this coffee is so good, just what I needed today!" and "what are your favoirte typ of coffee, let me know in the comments".

There is a other option that can work and that's what I call the business option. Let's say you run a business where you create flys for fly fishing that you sell online through your web store. Then you make a channel about fly fishing where you make videos, guides, tutorials etc all connected to fly fishing and make sure to market that store as the best source to get flys.

Booth way are really hard, if it was easy selling merch through YouTube everyone would be rich. Going to take hard work, a lot of time and dedication. But the more of a community or family you can build around your channel the bigger the chance someone will by one of your products.
Oh yeah, just getting people to chuck a buck my way on Patreon seems like quantum theory level of difficulty. But once they decide you're worth it, it's not hard to get them to spend $10 or even more sometimes. It takes quite a while to convert a new visitor into a returning visitor and then into a loyal fan and then into a Patreon supporter.

I find that process much more enjoyable than listening to some incompetent boss though. Interacting with regular commenters and patrons that ask for my opinion on things is part of the daily activities, it helps with the engagement signals for the algorithm and the whole channel is lively because of it. It's also funny how some people get excited when you reply to them or just click the heart icon, as if I'm some kind of important person, when in fact I'm just an ordinary random Internet dude who happened to finally tap into the YT algorithm.

Reactions: markkaz