I am Freebooted on Facebook. Millions of views of reuploads of my videos. What can I do to stop it?

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There tons of videos like this, Stephen colbert, news shows, often altered so that the can repost their videos . unfortunately there isnt a way to stop it though the upload sites algorithms are getting better, the water marks can help you prove it's your content. Id say the best bet is to pay a third party firm that specializes in this to comb the net to find your footage =/ assuming one has the cash for that.
Yes, the magnitudes of freebooting is much bigger than what I've estimated in my first post. There are video compilations, altered videos, videos with titles in different languages (including Arabic, Hindi) which makes them next to impossible to find. I just checked some pages where freebooting is common and found my videos, most of the times changed, with deleted segments, watermarked with the Facebook page logo etc.. Additionally there are closed groups, non public posts etc.. The YouTuber whom I asked how he fights it, said there is no way to stop it.

I guess I will just leave it like this. Filling DMCA takedown notices all day long is not my style. I prefer to make new videos instead of managing copyrights and fighting freebooters And I have the feeling Facebook is giving them helping hand.

SensualC4

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes, the magnitudes of freebooting is much bigger than what I've estimated in my first post. There are video compilations, altered videos, videos with titles in different languages (including Arabic, Hindi) which makes them next to impossible to find. I just checked some pages where freebooting is common and found my videos, most of the times changed, with deleted segments, watermarked with the Facebook page logo etc.. Additionally there are closed groups, non public posts etc.. The YouTuber whom I asked how he fights it, said there is no way to stop it.

I guess I will just leave it like this. Filling DMCA takedown notices all day long is not my style. I prefer to make new videos instead of managing copyrights and fighting freebooters And I have the feeling Facebook is giving them helping hand.
Yea unfortunately there isn't much to be done, but you could hire a third party company to Issue the DMCA take downs for you =/

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The reality is that if you don't protect your brand and make an attempt to stop it, if you ever did wind up in court, the court very well might decide that because you didn't bother to protect your brand, you have given tacit approval to anyone who steals your material. Welcome to the world of copyright law.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Update:
I got access to Facebook's ContentID system. After I learn it and get familiar, I think to retract my DMCA takedowns and then claim the videos through the ID system. I am very familiar with YouTube's ContentID, but Facebook is pretty much Terra Incognita for me. I will talk with YouTube and Facebook if it is possible to transfer my reference files from YouTube to Facebook, or else its a huge task coming for me in the next months.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It looks like not many people care about the freebooting, so a moderator can lock the topic.

Last update:
Over the past week I've managed to take partial control of the situation. Now I have side by side comparison with Facebook and YouTube as well. Hint and surprise: Facebook is more strict regarding Copyrights than YouTube.