Hows Can Descritions Be Improved To Rank Videos Higher?

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So iv recently learned that the description for your videos has just as much of a role in helping your video rank high as other things do such as tags, title, etc.. :p So I was wondering in what ways can video descriptions be improved to help get better results?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Get a list going with all the tags relevant to your video. Generate via the search bar and feel free to copy from your fellow youtubers, in addition to using all the usual sources for research. Get down all the 1-6 keyword tags you can. Make a title from the most relevant keyword phrases, putting first the most important search term you want to rank for.
In the first paragraph, use your video title keywords as the first 2 sentences of your description. The first paragraph should also contain as many other relevant tags as possible incorporated via natural sentences.
The second paragraph incorporates some of the other tags and/or a step by step description of what happens in the video. This should be keyword rich as well. We may have paragraph 3 and 4 with actions from the video if it's a big video or has many toys with lots of keywords. These are good chances to get long tail keyword variations that there is no space for in the tags section.
The next paragraph has a CTA for sub and like. I ask viewers to give a thumbs down as well of they don;t like it, as I've read both are treated equally as interactions, which is good, unless the dislikes far outweigh the likes.
The next section is links to our videos and playlists. We have the titles and goo.gl link. since each title is keyword rich; this fills the whole description with highly relevant and targeted keywords to our genre.
I've experimented with having links to all our external social sites, but I think this will be taken out soon in preference of other things.
We also use a paragraph near the bottom, common to all videos, with a description of our channel, as a way for the algorithm to associate all our content.

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks @KiddieToysReview for your helpful reply. :D Ill use your tips to better my descriptions on my videos, that said, I have loads of videos to will take me some time lol. :p

What about links in descriptions? Do you think having too many, or having links not that relevant or affiliate links etc.. could harm the videos ranking?

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks @KiddieToysReview for your helpful reply. :D Ill use your tips to better my descriptions on my videos, that said, I have loads of videos to will take me some time lol. :p

What about links in descriptions? Do you think having too many, or having links not that relevant or affiliate links etc.. could harm the videos ranking?
The first few lines (what shows up on a search or what shows up first on the video before the "SHOW MORE" link) of the description are most important, so I wouldn't put any links there. I'd put links further down.

Keep in mind that YouTube wants people staying on YouTube, so links that take people away from YouTube will end the "watch session", which will hurt your analytics. However, that's only if they click on the links (which you will probably find that most people don't click on links in the description -- generally, most people won't pay attention to your description unless you mention it in the video, so the description is really more for YouTube's purposes, since YouTube cannot "see" your video...they can only process the information you give in the title, tags, description, and any submitted subtitles). I think one thing you can do is post links to relevant content and then describe those links. The links themselves won't have much of an SEO impact, but by describing them, you can reinforce your keywords.

For example, if you had a video about one of your fish, you might say, "To learn more about [insert fish name here to reinforce that keyword], check out the wikipedia page on them. [insert fish here] is known for [insert relevant facts summarized from the wikipedia page.]"

Reactions: SeanFace101

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The first few lines (what shows up on a search or what shows up first on the video before the "SHOW MORE" link) of the description are most important, so I wouldn't put any links there. I'd put links further down.

Keep in mind that YouTube wants people staying on YouTube, so links that take people away from YouTube will end the "watch session", which will hurt your analytics. However, that's only if they click on the links (which you will probably find that most people don't click on links in the description -- generally, most people won't pay attention to your description unless you mention it in the video, so the description is really more for YouTube's purposes, since YouTube cannot "see" your video...they can only process the information you give in the title, tags, description, and any submitted subtitles). I think one thing you can do is post links to relevant content and then describe those links. The links themselves won't have much of an SEO impact, but by describing them, you can reinforce your keywords.

For example, if you had a video about one of your fish, you might say, "To learn more about [insert fish name here to reinforce that keyword], check out the wikipedia page on them. [insert fish here] is known for [insert relevant facts summarized from the wikipedia page.]"
Have a look at my video I uploaded the other day called "Smudge Spot Cory (Corydoras Simulas)" and the description, iv put some info about the species of fish such as where it comes from ,etc.. :p Are you meaning put a lin then to a good website about this type of fish also? Would you say I need to type more things about the fish than I have in the description?[DOUBLEPOST=1468174878,1468174712][/DOUBLEPOST]
this is all you need

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Have a look at my video I uploaded the other day called "Smudge Spot Cory (Corydoras Simulas)" and the description, iv put some info about the species of fish such as where it comes from ,etc.. :p Are you meaning put a lin then to a good website about this type of fish also? Would you say I need to type more things about the fish than I have in the description?
If you're targeting people searching for that kind of fish, then the most important thing is having content about that fish. So summarizing links is a good way to do that.

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I have wrote this little bit of information about budgies in the description of my latest budgie video...

The budgerigar, which is informally nicknamed the budgie, is also known as the Common Pet Parakeet and/or the Shell Parakeet. It is a small, long-tailed, seed-eating parrot and can live in captivity for as long as 8 years if cared for correctly. Wild, they can be found throughout the drier parts of Australia where the species has survived harsh inland conditions for the last five million years. The species was first recorded in 1805, and today is the third most popular pet in the world after the domesticated dog and cat.

I just got the information from wiki and stuff. :p Do you think I should add this paragraph into the descriptions of all my budgie videos? or Should the paragraph about budgies be unique to each budgie video? or at least the same info but re-written around?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Not sure about affiliate links as we don't use them. Generally google hates affiliates (I used to have dozens of affiliate sites back in the days) and it was always a pain to rank them and keep them ranked. Google also brought out updates that continually destroyed your affiliate sites. Since G owns YT, I would be cautious about having many affiliate links.
Links that are not relevant in terms of titles would confuse the algorithm and dilute your authority I assume. It's best to focus on your videos and category. Too many links may be considered spammy by the algorithm, unless it's to your own content on YT, I don't see how encouraging viewers to watch more of your videos and increasing session time would be bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1468184884,1468184730][/DOUBLEPOST]
So I have wrote this little bit of information about budgies in the description of my latest budgie video...

The budgerigar, which is informally nicknamed the budgie, is also known as the Common Pet Parakeet and/or the Shell Parakeet. It is a small, long-tailed, seed-eating parrot and can live in captivity for as long as 8 years if cared for correctly. Wild, they can be found throughout the drier parts of Australia where the species has survived harsh inland conditions for the last five million years. The species was first recorded in 1805, and today is the third most popular pet in the world after the domesticated dog and cat.

I just got the information from wiki and stuff. :p Do you think I should add this paragraph into the descriptions of all my budgie videos? or Should the paragraph about budgies be unique to each budgie video? or at least the same info but re-written around?
Definitely rewrite it, make it different for each video, just change the sentences around and add a few phrases here and there. I would also add a common channel info paragraph in each video.

Reactions: Entityofsin