How YouTube monetization works?

red rover

Reaction score
I'm starting a YT channel focusing on documentaries and some other historical venues. I'm new to this and have a few videos but not sure exactly how the monetization program works. Every time I try to figure out the numbers from different sources they seem to contradict one another. any straight-forward advice would be appreciated. thanks

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I'm starting a YT channel focusing on documentaries and some other historical venues. I'm new to this and have a few videos but not sure exactly how the monetization program works. Every time I try to figure out the numbers from different sources they seem to contradict one another. any straight-forward advice would be appreciated. thanks

Have you read the official guides on YouTube's help site? That would be the best source.

Your question is very general. What specifically don't you understand?

red rover

Reaction score
thanks for responding. I've looked at yt site but seems so much legal mumbo jumbo. q's like how many subs I need (1000 I thought) how much you get paid per million views etc. kinda just learning. thanks again

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
You need 4,000 hours of overall watch time on a channel within the past 12 months and have at least 1,000 subscribers in order to monetize.

As far as earnings, there's no way to say what one can make. In the past, $1 for every 1,000 monetized views was a decent rough guide, but I'd expect that number is closer to every 2,000 views nowadays. Additionally, it all depends on what country your views come from, the demographics of your viewers, and your subject matter. Likewise, if your videos are longer than 10 minutes, you can have multiple ads displayed in them possibly doubling or even tripling your revenue stream.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
At this stage I would not worry too much about monetisation. Put all your time and effort into creating the channel / creating good content and keep at it until you reach close to 1000 subs / close to 4000 hours watched and then start to consider how you get paid.

Reactions: GameVestment