How YouTube decides what to ban

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Matt Halprin, the global head of trust and safety for YouTube, has a tough job: He oversees the teams that decide what is allowed and what should be prohibited on YouTube.

The Google-owned site has come under fire recently for allowing videos that feature what many find offensive or violent, and for not doing enough to protect kids online. Halprin has to make difficult decisions to craft policies that keep the site as safe as YouTube wants it to be, while balancing what the company considers one of its core tenets: people´s free speech.

The Associated Press spoke recently with Halprin about how his team works. Questions and answers have been edited for length and clarity.

Link to interview:

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Matt Halprin, the global head of trust and safety for YouTube, has a tough job: He oversees the teams that decide what is allowed and what should be prohibited on YouTube.

The Google-owned site has come under fire recently for allowing videos that feature what many find offensive or violent, and for not doing enough to protect kids online. Halprin has to make difficult decisions to craft policies that keep the site as safe as YouTube wants it to be, while balancing what the company considers one of its core tenets: people´s free speech.

The Associated Press spoke recently with Halprin about how his team works. Questions and answers have been edited for length and clarity.

Link to interview:

"And so we have seriously huge debates about this. Sometimes we think that if we are not criticized by all sides for the policy, we´ve probably done something wrong. If you´re only upsetting one side, then you probably haven´t gotten it right. "
lol they like to stir sh t and watch it

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
google is almost as bad as China with its war on free speech. If a YT alternative ever takes off I will turn my back on YT in a flash.

xpdeus

Reaction score
There is no speech freedom on youtube especially when you are from right-wing

Reactions: OpiumSymposium

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Wow! I have never seen a person talk so much and say so little. Did he go to school to learn how to speak with absolute vagueness and ambiguity. That is a real talent there. I bet he has a Master's Degree in STHM (Spinning Total Horse Manure).