How youtube allow these channels to use copyright images and video

Kgrahim

Reaction score
Hi all :)
i new to youtube and like to start new channel and monetize it.

i am concerning about the fair usage of copyright material, My channel will be History documentary based so it gonna use lots of copyright images.

I saw various youtube channels on what ads are running but they are using Copyright images and videos for Tumbnails and main Video. They are kinda compilation video channels.
Here is example :

Cool Vines
Funny Vines

And they are lots of them.

They are using video of others just placing them inside two small channel logo boxes and ads are still running.

Here is example

So My question is what is exact youtube policy regarding copyright images and videos?

If I use same way like above: place copyright images and video inside two channel logo boxes will i get any copyright strike on my channel?

How the channel avoid the copyright strike by using above trick ?

Thanks
Kgrahim

GafferGames

YTTalk's Local Sloth
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Essentially the way fair use works is that if the work is transformative then it can fall under fair use of copyrighted material. Compilations like these can straddle the line because compilations have always existed in many types of media even though the work is entirely composed of other people's work, often the act of making "best of" type videos like these is effort enough.

However, if you are going to be doing historical documentaries, I imagine you will be adding some sort of commentary to clips, using them to make points or show aspects of what you're discussing, and this will easily fall under fair use. If I uploaded an entire hour long documentary the History channel made with no changes, that would infringe, however if I sampled clips from the documentary, and used it to make my own points, that would constitute fair use, as you're applying your own work to the content.

In terms of using the border, I can only imagine that's because these compilations are filmed mainly on mobile devices in portrait mode, and so the aspect ratio doesn't align with YouTubes 16:9, and thus these are the equivalent of the black bars you see on old movies.

I hope that helps a little!

SensualC4

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Also keep in mind a lot of content creators are not issuing take downs but claiming the content, and receiving the ad revenue for their content.(Not sure what percentage they get based on how much of the video is their content.) A really good example of this I Nightcore videos, they take songs tweak the pitch and speed, but (it appears) they are monetized, but they are not by the youtubers, but by the content owners.

Mark Walker

Reaction score
How could I post anime you guys without getting Copyrighted you guys? My favorite anime is Sword Art Online, and every time I try to just post an opening or ending song, Sony hits me quick. I need help!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rambalac

Reaction score
Are you asking how to steal and not get caught?

WarriorDan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube tends to base its policies around the US' fair use laws, which basically allows free use of copyrighted content (not including music, which is generally harder to get away with using) as long as:
  • You are using the copyrighted purpose for the purpose of reviewing it, using it for educational use, or as part of a parody.
  • You cannot claim ownership of the copyrighted works, because obviously you don't actually own it.
  • You have to mix in your own original content. You can't just steal and re-upload the copyrighted material in full and unedited.
Not following these rules can land you copyright strikes, termination of your channel, or worse.
If you don't think your video follows these guidelines, save yourself the trouble and don't upload it.

Mark Walker

Reaction score
So, how can I obtain copyrights. Usually it's Sony Music Japan who copyrights me.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
So, how can I obtain copyrights. Usually it's Sony Music Japan who copyrights me.
Contact Sony Music Japan and request to buy the rights. They’ll likely cost in the millions (if they’re willing to sell them at all), but then you’d be legal.

WarriorDan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Contact Sony Music Japan and request to buy the rights. They’ll likely cost in the millions (if they’re willing to sell them at all), but then you’d be legal.
Or, limit your use of the song so that it falls within the fair use guidelines I outlined above. You cannot just cut and paste a song, place some lyrics on-screen, and naturally assume it's yours.

Mark Walker

Reaction score
Great idea. I might just create a new channel and try that out.