How to YouTube: Views | Subscribers | Ratings - Superb Guide by Overwatch

Overwatch

Reaction score
How to: YouTube

Reconstructed to improve quality and efficiency.

By Overwatch

@OverwatchInc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We start with explaining the system.

YouTube runs off how many minutes are watched to determine the most popular videos, the ratings are kinda like bonuses to the system, they give you a boost. Likes are kinda like +1, Favorites are kinda like +5, and subscribers, shares, and comments, just show the video is trending, and giving overall value to the author/channel of that video.

It's a simple thing to understand, but a very odd and confusing (and LONG) algorithm that has been created, updated, and changed so many times, we've lost track.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mindset.

This is not all about money. It isn't about money at all. Now you want to go into this thinking about money, go ahead, just watch yourself fail. Now, listen to me, this is about a hobby becoming a lifestyle. That's it. Now, let's move on.

Unknown Requirements.

You need HD videos, good content, and a good description. Without HD, no one cares, without good content, it's boring, without a good description with links and obviously, describing the video and/or you/your channel, it's just like "does this guy care" of course this isn't directly said or thought. So you need to do it, because no one will tell you.

Equipment.

This varies with what you are doing, I'll guess gaming, so here's what to do.

PC Gamers:

Fraps - $37 @ fraps.com

Sony Vegas (Better, Expensive) @ Sony's Website \ Lightworks (Not as Professional) @ Lightworks' Website

Console Gamers:

HD PVR 2 @ Hauppauge.com

HDMI TV @ Walmart.com

A PC Close to your HDPVR 2 / TV so you can edit, you will also need editing software on this PC.

For Commentators:

A High-Quality Headset or Microphone. Blue Snowball (USB) | Turtle Beaches (Headset) | Astro (Headset)

A way to script out your videos to make sure you know what you are going to say. Also, do not stutter or say umm..., like..., what... a lot, and keep talking, but don't talk too slow / too fast, stay focused, and no silence for a long period of time.

If I said, "And yeah Battlefield 4 is..." ... 30 seconds later "A really good game..." that'd be bad. And what did we say about bad quality content?

It's BAD! B. A. D. BAD!

Search Engine Optimization

Title: Make sure your title says what the video is about, a catchy name maybe, and the game name. Example:

"Trigger Fist" - Black Ops 2 PC Montage (HD 1080p) | By Overwatch

That's just an example.

Description: Should include social links (Facebook / Twitter) and a subscribe link (So people can visit your channel and have a screen popup asking if they'd like to subscribe) Here is the link layout, just change your name from OVERWATCHCO to "Your Name" no quotes, no spaces, capitals or no capitals. Should also include a description of whatever is being talked about and/or shown in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OVERWATCHCO?sub_confirmation1

Tags: 15 tags saying what your video(s) are all about. You can put these all in "Default" in the YouTube Settings so you don't have to retype them everytime.

Also, put the tags and title at the end of the description, and put IGNORE above it. Trust me, it helps.

Tags EX: Black Ops 2 , Battlefield, Minecraft, Gaming, Guns, More Guns, HD, Tags

Just some example for ya!

Being Legit

Never use bots, or scams saying real viewers view your stuff with automated software, never, ever bash people in your videos (Politics / Celebrities are an exception, so are ACTUAL bad people in the world, EX: terrorists) and also, remember this...

"Friends are enemies in masks. Never trust anyone with your possessions."

Networking

When networking, you share, comment, like, and favorite other people's videos and they do the same for you. BUT, you must watch the video, don't just do it to do it.

You can also go on FORUMS, Social Media Sites ( Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, Steam ) And even Gaming Servers, just advertise your stuff, but make sure people ask first, and that you are respecting the servers' / server's rules by FOLLOWING them.

Created by OVERWATCH

Last edited by a moderator:

CramBoom

Classy Science
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
You are not allowed to put tags in the description, it is against terms and conditions. But otherwise great guide! I never knew favourites were worth so much, I don't think I have any favourites...

Overwatch

Reaction score
You are not allowed to put tags in the description, it is against terms and conditions. But otherwise great guide! I never knew favourites were worth so much, I don't think I have any favourites...
Not against YouTube's policies. They are keywords, not tags.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I thought adding your tags/keywords to the description damaged SEO? I used to use this method but I might play around with it a bit more. I hate SEO because it always seems to work when IT wants to lol

Reactions: Overwatch

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

Marcus "Rediche" Geil

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You can add keywords or tags to your description as far as it's in a sentence and that is highly recommended! Don't spam your keywords or tags in the description, but rather just write a small text about what the video's about. That'll make you rank a bit higher than before.

Beside that, take into account when doing SEO, that Google released an update not that long ago which prioritize shorttail keywords a lot lower that longtail keywords. So what are long and shorttail keywords?
If I have a tutorial about how to make your nails beautiful then this would be the following short and longtail tags:
Shorttail: nails, beautiful, "how to"
Longtail: "how to make beautiful nails", "beautiful nail tutorial"
Basicly a shorttail keyword is not that specific where longtail are really specific and is usually based around the most popular search queries. The most popular searches can be easy to find just by starting to search, what you would search to find your video, without hitting enter/return, this should show suggestions on both Google and YouTube :)

Reactions: Tipsy Tricks

Tipsy Tricks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Beside that, take into account when doing SEO, that Google released an update not that long ago which prioritize shorttail keywords a lot lower that longtail keywords.
Good info, wasn't aware of this change! Might be time to go back and update my tags...

bjornar

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I liked the guide, a little hard to read(this is just me) but good job :)