How to write notes on your posted videos now that "Annotations" are gone?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Okay. We all do it. We make a video and post it, and then later decide that we want to add some information to it that we forgot. Now we could delete the video, edited and re-upload it. But that would erase all the share links and other things the were associated with the original video, especially if it is an older video. Now youtube use to offer "Annotations" that would allow you to create a custom pop up with your own text in it that allowed you to add notes to videos AFTER the word uploaded, without the need to re-upload an edited version. But youtube got rid of Annotations in May. Youtube says you can use CARDS, but cards do not let you create custom TEXT notes to add to your video. Or at least I have not found out how to do that. So what option are there now to do this?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
The only way I see of adding "notes" into videos or other types of text is through the editing process of the videos. Since annotations are no more we need to double check and make sure we don't need to add anything else. Which is a complete bummer but there is not much else we can do about it. To my knowledge anyways. =\

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is a huge missing feature for me. There are times in recipes where I need to correct an amount or change something small, and the annotations were the best way to handle that. We shouldn't have to remove a video with tens of thousands of views and hundreds of comments just to change something from "1 tbsp" to 1 tsp." Kind of frustrating!

I have used a pinned comment to make some of these occasional edits, but most people never even see those.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
This is a huge missing feature for me. There are times in recipes where I need to correct an amount or change something small, and the annotations were the best way to handle that. We shouldn't have to remove a video with tens of thousands of views and hundreds of comments just to change something from "1 tbsp" to 1 tsp." Kind of frustrating!

I have used a pinned comment to make some of these occasional edits, but most people never even see those.

Exactly how I feel! I understand why youtube discontinued Annotations. What I don't understand is why they did not just offer a modern more compatible option. I have been trying to find a way to use Cards or End Screens, but they are completely useless. You can put notes in the description or comments area, but Youtube does not give us any formatting tools to accentuate these comments, so nobody is every going to see them. The best I could come up with is making an instructional video that comes up as an endscreen telling people to look in the description area for additional information and corrections. What a bunch of hogwash this whole mess is.

Why are multi-billion internet companies so technologically incompetent?

AllofTheAbove

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
Nope, this is part of the reason I got hyper critical about how I talk in videos since annotations left. I've started using titles to add or correct things while I edit. I really wish they'd give another option because I was a frequent user of those annotations.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
This is a huge missing feature for me.

Nope, this is part of the reason I got hyper critical about how I talk in videos since annotations left. I've started using titles to add or correct things while I edit. I really wish they'd give another option because I was a frequent user of those annotations.
The only way I see of adding "notes" into videos or other types of text is through the editing process of the videos. Since annotations are no more we need to double check and make sure we don't need to add anything else. Which is a complete bummer but there is not much else we can do about it. To my knowledge anyways. =\
So, I would like you guys to take a look a this video that I am using as an endscreen to and let me you know if you think I am on the right track at solving this problem of, post upload adding of information. Thanks

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5aN2W6wjQ0

Reactions: Farley Productions

JuriKaGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, I would like you guys to take a look a this video that I am using as an endscreen to and let me you know if you think I am on the right track at solving this problem of, post upload adding of information. Thanks
That looks pretty good!! I've not actually thought of the idea of creating a little video to use at the end and after watching yours this definitely seems like the way to go. So far I've been using a still image. What you do looks way more neat and professional. One thing I would do tho, is use the end screen ability to link other videos.

What I'm curious about as well, the little subscribe button you made in the corner, is that through cards you've done that?

Feels like I really need to dig deeper into YouTube's features.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
That looks pretty good!! I've not actually thought of the idea of creating a little video to use at the end and after watching yours this definitely seems like the way to go. So far I've been using a still image. What you do looks way more neat and professional. One thing I would do tho, is use the end screen ability to link other videos.

What I'm curious about as well, the little subscribe button you made in the corner, is that through cards you've done that?

Feels like I really need to dig deeper into YouTube's features.

The Subscription button is found under "Branding" which is found under "CHANNEL" on your account page. Just go there and upload the image of your choice. It took me quite a few attempts to create one that sticks out like the one my video.

JuriKaGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The Subscription button is found under "Branding" which is found under "CHANNEL" on your account page. Just go there and upload the image of your choice. It took me quite a few attempts to create one that sticks out like the one my video.

Nice one, I'll be trying that for my next upload! Thanks for helping out.