How To Work A Green Screen?

GafferGames

YTTalk's Local Sloth
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
I know it requires doing a Chroma Key, but I can't find that option anywhere in my software, so how exactly do I go about making it transparent?

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
what software are you using? That would be a big help in this!

Andrew Flint

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
For Livestreaming I'm using XSplit, and for editing I'm using AVS Video Editor.
I'm sure youtube has a tutorial on Xsplit but I'm guessing you might have to use a different software or something to work with it :) as for AVS.. I've never even heard it of ;') sorry I couldn't help...

GafferGames

YTTalk's Local Sloth
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
I'm sure youtube has a tutorial on Xsplit but I'm guessing you might have to use a different software or something to work with it :) as for AVS.. I've never even heard it of ;') sorry I couldn't help...
That's all good :)

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Yes name the software... Also make sure you don't have any shadows on it when shooting and you will want to be at least 3 feet from the screen so as not to get any bleed over from the green. Lighting is Key to good green screen. Remember when doing green screen you don't want people to say.. oh hey look they did green screen. You want them to say oh hey nice video or film.

unknown_user0032

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
There's a rule with lighting isn't there? Like 3 lights one in the middle and one to the left and right to avoid shadow? That's the only input I can give sorry haha xD

Andrew Flint

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
There's a rule with lighting isn't there? Like 3 lights one in the middle and one to the left and right to avoid shadow? That's the only input I can give sorry haha xD
the amount of lights doesn't matter, you just have to use enough in the right place to remove any shadow on the screen behind you :) oh and to keep the screen evenly lit :)

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
3 point lighting is standard.. but with green screen you need to have it lit separately. So basically 2 lights on the green screen from left and right.. then the person you are lighting should be lit front left right and then a back light to separate them from the green screen so in total if you want the green screen too look right and not become a distraction its about 5 lights.. At my real job we just did some green screen work and you would not even notice that it was on green screen.. It was shot on a sound stage though with tons of lights and a large crew.

3 Schmoes

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Moral of the story: Green screens are a pain in the buttox. Personally, I try to avoid them whenever possible. Same thing goes for sharks, vegetables, and clingy women.