How to White Balance For Beginners

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@brodielawrence has made a three part series for YTtalkTV on how to white balance your Canon DSLR camera, this is perfect for anyone who is having problems with their videos made at night turning out orange or those whose colours are looking a bit off even though you have set the white balance in the options, he covers both what white balance is, setting a custom white balance using Canon's built in software/firmware and white balancing with Magic Lantern software with a video for each:

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Here's some taggings :D

@MegaBoringGuy @CatsRants @markkaz @JohnKenShow @derraleves @Daniel @Shane.C @Crown @Apoxa @JeriKane @kkushalbeatzz @Kleineganz @babyteeth4 @Sykute @Styxie @Andrew Flint @Gabriel

Thank you to Brodie for doing the videos and thanks to all who watch :) If anyone would like to be untagged next time let me know ;)

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I'll have to watch these and remember (maybe take notes instead) for how to do this because I've never done this before while using the college cameras :') cheers!

Reactions: Brodie and Michael

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Nice video!
I use TragicLantern (fork of Magic Lantern), I'd recommend people check that one out as well.
Remember you might not always want your white balance to be set perfectly, if you do vlogs you most probably do so your skin does not look weird and orange, but for a short film or something similar, experimenting with it can set the tone of the scene. Higher for warmer scenes, lower for coldness.
Example:

Good tutorial though, keep it up!

derraleves

YouTube Marketing Expert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger
@brodielawrence has made a three part series for YTtalkTV on how to white balance your Canon DSLR camera, this is perfect for anyone who is having problems with their videos made at night turning out orange or those whose colours are looking a bit off even though you have set the white balance in the options, he covers both what white balance is, setting a custom white balance using Canon's built in software/firmware and white balancing with Magic Lantern software with a video for each:

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Here's some taggings :D

@MegaBoringGuy @CatsRants @markkaz @JohnKenShow @derraleves @Daniel @Shane.C @Crown @Apoxa @JeriKane @kkushalbeatzz @Kleineganz @babyteeth4 @Sykute @Styxie @Andrew Flint @Gabriel

Thank you to Brodie for doing the videos and thanks to all who watch :) If anyone would like to be untagged next time let me know ;)
Great Job Brodie! Great Explanation on White balance!

Reactions: Brodie and Michael