How to vlog tips

Veecharlie

Reaction score
hey guys,

So I’m still in the process of making my channel nicer and more organized. I kind of took away my vlog parts as they were mediocre and really not that satisfying job. I have watched tons of videos about “how to vlog” and read a lot of stuff, but I’m still far away from reaching a decent vlog.

I know vlogging is done by sharing “everything” and stuff, but I’d like it to be a bit different from the be normal vlog, a bit more “professional” and especially still fun.

I’d like to hear some tips and advises from you, do you also have a bit of a structure for vlogging?

AllofTheAbove

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
I can only hope this post will help a bit, since I've recently resumed vlogging. What's helped me is watching people I enjoy (I found out about Peter McKinnon from another small YouTuber's channel (VyroniQ, not sure if he's a user here)) and I've been enjoying his vlogs, as well (it's also shamefully recent that I learned of Casey Neistat, who I don't often watch, but sometimes get ideas for future vlogs when I do)).

I've picked up some tips from them and others to make my videos better that I hope will show in my next vlogs. You don't have to watch these guys, but find people you enjoy who upload content that fits your idea of vlogging and implement some of their tips to make your own videos better.

You don't have to share "everything", so don't. Maybe just pick a couple highlights of your day and bring the camera along for them. I have a series that I run on my blog and I've begun implementing it on my channel as well, where I go somewhere specific and vlog about that.

One thing I've learned is that I desperately need B roll to make my videos longer than a minute (which, they wouldn't reach if I didn't add the picture slideshow, so I'll be working on that for my channel). Think about (and perhaps write down) what you feel your videos were lacking (and what you enjoy about your own vlogs, like a pro/con list) and see how you can work on that to make your vlogs better so they come out the way you want.

Think about what type of vlogging you want to do and practice. Even in the beginning of my channel, I didn't feel the need to share "everything", there are many people who do, so I see why you think that about vlogging, but I've pretty much always decided "I'm going here or doing this, today, so let me film what's going on for this one thing".

I often get there and forget to turn the camera on (or get paranoid that someone (or many) will object to being caught on video, so I get scared to even turn it on ... I'm working on that). Usually the focus of my blogs is as stated above, just going to one place and sharing the experience. That's what works for me and I hope I helped at least a little bit.

Reactions: Emerrias

Emerrias

Reaction score
I can only hope this post will help a bit, since I've recently resumed vlogging. What's helped me is watching people I enjoy (I found out about Peter McKinnon from another small YouTuber's channel (VyroniQ, not sure if he's a user here)) and I've been enjoying his vlogs, as well (it's also shamefully recent that I learned of Casey Neistat, who I don't often watch, but sometimes get ideas for future vlogs when I do)).

I've picked up some tips from them and others to make my videos better that I hope will show in my next vlogs. You don't have to watch these guys, but find people you enjoy who upload content that fits your idea of vlogging and implement some of their tips to make your own videos better.

You don't have to share "everything", so don't. Maybe just pick a couple highlights of your day and bring the camera along for them. I have a series that I run on my blog and I've begun implementing it on my channel as well, where I go somewhere specific and vlog about that.

One thing I've learned is that I desperately need B roll to make my videos longer than a minute (which, they wouldn't reach if I didn't add the picture slideshow, so I'll be working on that for my channel). Think about (and perhaps write down) what you feel your videos were lacking (and what you enjoy about your own vlogs, like a pro/con list) and see how you can work on that to make your vlogs better so they come out the way you want.

Think about what type of vlogging you want to do and practice. Even in the beginning of my channel, I didn't feel the need to share "everything", there are many people who do, so I see why you think that about vlogging, but I've pretty much always decided "I'm going here or doing this, today, so let me film what's going on for this one thing".

I often get there and forget to turn the camera on (or get paranoid that someone (or many) will object to being caught on video, so I get scared to even turn it on ... I'm working on that). Usually the focus of my blogs is as stated above, just going to one place and sharing the experience. That's what works for me and I hope I helped at least a little bit.
I agree with this. Also something Gary Vee, a really smart media company CEO and content creator always talks about is document what you are doing instead of creating, this helps a lot.
Good luck buddy!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

Poop Lord

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm not a vlogger myself but I have a lot of experience with screenwriting and storytelling in general. I have noticed from watching my favorite vlogger Casey Neistat that he never lets a topic of conversation to go on for too long. He never rambles to the camera and he often even cuts himself off during a sentence. This works because most of the time, we as an audience can fill in the blanks. He heavily employs the storytelling tactic referred too as "killing your babies." Basically, it means to cut out as much fluff as you can and have a general plan what you are gonna say and do once the cameras are rolling. It will take some work to get used to but it will pay off in the end! Best of luck to you!

Ricky Alv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used to do a lot of vlogging in my channel before. I think vlogging is a great way to showcase who you really are and build a connection with people. I would personally focus on sharing the why on your vlogs instead of focusing on the "what." If you tell people why you do what you do they are more inclined to build a connection with you on a long term basis.