How to utilize transcriptions?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thought my videos were covered in the subtitle/CC department, thanks to YouTube's transcriptions, but have just been told that it's more beneficial for creators to manually type out their own transcriptions?

Why is this? I don't fully understand the benefits and don't want to go back and manually transcribe every single one of my videos, if there are no benefits to doing so.

Additionally, I saw that creators have to translate their videos into different languages via the transcription tool? I know a moderate amount of Spanish, in addition to English, but could definitely not translate a whole video. And even then, I'd want to have other prominent languages covered.

I've seen people saying use Google Translate, but last I checked, those translations aren't very accurate. What can I do about this?

Any help would be great. I'm trying to optimize my videos.

Thanks!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I thought my videos were covered in the subtitle/CC department, thanks to YouTube's transcriptions, but have just been told that it's more beneficial for creators to manually type out their own transcriptions?

Why is this? I don't fully understand the benefits and don't want to go back and manually transcribe every single one of my videos, if there are no benefits to doing so.

Additionally, I saw that creators have to translate their videos into different languages via the transcription tool? I know a moderate amount of Spanish, in addition to English, but could definitely not translate a whole video. And even then, I'd want to have other prominent languages covered.

I've seen people saying use Google Translate, but last I checked, those translations aren't very accurate. What can I do about this?

Any help would be great. I'm trying to optimize my videos.

Thanks!

Well the closed captions that are generated automatically by YouTube are usually full of mistakes. The system tries to understand what the person is saying and type it out, but if it gets it wrong, the text looks a bit silly. Having said that, overrriding the automated subtitles and correcting them manually is a very tedious task. For a 10 minute video, it can take well over an hour if it's done well. I used to do it but it drove me nuts lol. I'm not convinced it's worth the effort.

I think what maybe people are talking about is typing out a transcript of your video and putting it in the description of the video. The reason behind doing that is for SEO (search engine optimization) - They want the algorithm to find all those keywords so that the video has more chance of ranking in search. IMHO, it's better to write a summary of the video in the description and not write a word for word copy of the transcript. I find that the keywords in a summary will be more targeted than the keywords in a full transcript.