How to use social media to grow your youtube channel

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts on this forum asking about how to use various social media platforms to get more subscribers, and I usually answer that people are not on twitter, facebook, instagram, etc because they want to subscribe to a youtube channel...they go to YouTube for that. Each platform should be used for the purpose it was built for.

Having said that, I've not been very good at practicing what I preach and it has taken me a long time to figure out exactly how to effectively use some social media platforms. I'm making progress though, and here is what I have learned about Linked'In and Twitter.

Twitter
As the name suggests, this is a platform for general chit chat. Instead of overt promotion of my videos I have started to let myself go off-topic on twitter and to tweet about anything that takes my interest. KFC in the UK made a very clever ad in response to them running out of chicken last week...it made me laugh so I tweeted about it. That tweet got quickly liked, retweeted, and I grew a few followers. That doesn't happen very often when I just tweet a link to one of my videos. The same thing happens every time I just tweet about something interesting even if it is not related to my YouTube channel.

Linked'In
My Linked'In connections are all in the same business or related businesses to me, and my YouTube channel is a business channel so videos I post on this platform are always well received. Having said that, Linked'In's primary purpose is to help people to find jobs and grow their career.
Over the last week I have been developing a webinar called "Breaking in to Yacht Brokerage" to help people who would love to have a career in yacht brokerage but don't know how to get started. I posted a copy of the cover of the e-book that shall be a giveaway with the course and a short description on Linked'In, and the response was far greater and more positive than any video I have ever posted. Why? Simply because I was using the platform for the purpose it was designed for. People are there because they are thinking about business and their career, and I posted something that will help them with their business and their career.

The more that I work on my social media and grow on my own personal learning curve the more I understand how social media needs to be used for a YouTuber:

If YouTube is your main activity, effectively your business... then Twitter is the pub where you can have a chat with your mates, Instagram is the photo album that your friends and family enjoy looking at, and Linked'In is your shop front.

FaceBook is still a totally separate world in itself, with different strategies to make it successful. I'm still getting to grips with it but am more limited by time than by anything else. It seems pretty straight forward and there is lots of advice online.

I hope the above may be of some use...I'm certainly enjoying the process of learning!

Reactions: Dave2017

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great post and very true:up2: Don´t forget about Reddit though. I have talked about the platform before (because I use it a lot) and I think Reddit is a great platform especially for videos that are a bit controvertiel or push the limits a little:) My videso do best on Reddit but again I´m not sure this goes for all channels.

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Thanks - I dipped my toes in Reddit about a year ago but found the platform incredibly confusing. I don't doubt the effectiveness though, a number of people on here have posted saying how useful it is and with advice on how to use it.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see a lot of posts on this forum asking about how to use various social media platforms to get more subscribers, and I usually answer that people are not on twitter, facebook, instagram, etc because they want to subscribe to a youtube channel...they go to YouTube for that. Each platform should be used for the purpose it was built for.

Having said that, I've not been very good at practicing what I preach and it has taken me a long time to figure out exactly how to effectively use some social media platforms. I'm making progress though, and here is what I have learned about Linked'In and Twitter.

Twitter
As the name suggests, this is a platform for general chit chat. Instead of overt promotion of my videos I have started to let myself go off-topic on twitter and to tweet about anything that takes my interest. KFC in the UK made a very clever ad in response to them running out of chicken last week...it made me laugh so I tweeted about it. That tweet got quickly liked, retweeted, and I grew a few followers. That doesn't happen very often when I just tweet a link to one of my videos. The same thing happens every time I just tweet about something interesting even if it is not related to my YouTube channel.

Linked'In
My Linked'In connections are all in the same business or related businesses to me, and my YouTube channel is a business channel so videos I post on this platform are always well received. Having said that, Linked'In's primary purpose is to help people to find jobs and grow their career.
Over the last week I have been developing a webinar called "Breaking in to Yacht Brokerage" to help people who would love to have a career in yacht brokerage but don't know how to get started. I posted a copy of the cover of the e-book that shall be a giveaway with the course and a short description on Linked'In, and the response was far greater and more positive than any video I have ever posted. Why? Simply because I was using the platform for the purpose it was designed for. People are there because they are thinking about business and their career, and I posted something that will help them with their business and their career.

The more that I work on my social media and grow on my own personal learning curve the more I understand how social media needs to be used for a YouTuber:

If YouTube is your main activity, effectively your business... then Twitter is the pub where you can have a chat with your mates, Instagram is the photo album that your friends and family enjoy looking at, and Linked'In is your shop front.

FaceBook is still a totally separate world in itself, with different strategies to make it successful. I'm still getting to grips with it but am more limited by time than by anything else. It seems pretty straight forward and there is lots of advice online.

I hope the above may be of some use...I'm certainly enjoying the process of learning!
I really need to look into how I could best use LinkedIn, that's the one social network that I'm really stuck with atm. Great article though, LinkedIn will definitely be something I look into soon.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks - I dipped my toes in Reddit about a year ago but found the platform incredibly confusing. I don't doubt the effectiveness though, a number of people on here have posted saying how useful it is and with advice on how to use it.
I've honestly never liked Reddit as a platform, specifically because it's for posting links and not having conversations, they limit how often you can post, which is a problem for people like me who want to respond to what other people are saying. Of course, I haven't really played with it in a while, not since the StumbleUpon days probably, but it still seems to be the same kind of "post your link and go away" that it always seems to have been. And, at least in the past, posting your own videos has been looked down on, it seems to be more geared toward someone else posting your videos and I have no respect whatsoever for people who create separate accounts so they can push their own material.

LaVelleLaRue

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
My wife is a talent agent here in Los Angeles and she loves Linkedin because it works really well with her connecting with casting agents and other actors. I'm a comedian so I don't know if any of my sketch comedy posts will do well on that platform, but Twitter and Instagram there maybe a chance. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Liam O’Doyle

MASE

I've Got It
Reaction score
Great thread. I love the process of learning about different platforms. I haven't focused so much on Twitter, but your points are helpful going forward. I have so much time into instagram and I love it!

We don't have many followers yet but we are building real connections with our followers. We have ranked top in hashtags that have 200-500k posts. We post family/toy content for our 3 year old's yt. Some celebrities have even liked our photos. We play it off cool but it's crazy..

IG is a steep learning curve and requires incredible amt of time! but there is massive long term opportunity. More important than anything on IG, even over a nice photo feed is building a real relationship with your followers, liking, and gratitude.[DOUBLEPOST=1520916713,1520915430][/DOUBLEPOST]@Yachts For Sale Besides being in the family/toys videos, which are still in early stages..I am starting my personal brand in business/investing/motivation niche. I love learning about business and think the ROI in this niche is unlimited.

David? I will be in contact with you when I start building my personal brand. You are in a super niche and your content is class. See you at a million + subscribers.

Last edited:

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I've noticed that, in the end, no social media's perfect. A number of them sabotage you from start if you don't have a really stellar video (that is, if you don't get enough likes or upvotes or whatnots), and platforms that don't have that system - well, good luck trying to stand out among thousands who are also trying to self-promote.
In the end, it always boils down to quality content - or posting on niche pages/groups where you're already made a name for yourself.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
David? I will be in contact with you when I start building my personal brand. You are in a super niche and your content is class. See you at a million + subscribers.
Thanks MASE! Feel free to get in touch any time, and best wishes for your personal brand building. There's never been a better time to do it!!!

Reactions: MASE

MASE

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks MASE! Feel free to get in touch any time, and best wishes for your personal brand building. There's never been a better time to do it!!!
You're welcome. Thank you as well. I agree it is a great time for it!