How to tell a story

Philip Jensen

Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Youtuber
Hi peeps of YTtalk,

I am currently running a vlog-style experiment on my channel and have been so since 1/1 this year. Meanwhile I am also writing and researching about story-telling, something I have previously worked with on projects for bigger brands.

Since I am spending quite a substantial amount of time on this paper I was considering to share some insights in video format on "how to tell a story". I could do small tips and tricks. How I storyboard/script/voice over etc. But also do analysis of current Youtubers and movies etc.

Would this be something you would be interested in?
And would you have any concerns with doing this while also doing vlogs on the same channel?

Thank you for your answers! I look forward to hear your thoughts. :)

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Other
The only help that I can offer is the well known saying "the devil is hidden in details" (as b-roll)
and if you have time you can watch the full Alfred Hitchcock interview in Youtube (free).
Any technique like voice over (killer) audio over spectacular pictures and so
with fall apart if there is no story.

One of my favorites is the "five knights promo reel" in vimeo. If you wish watch it.
There is not really a story but the way individual clips are merged and presented,
tell a story.

There are also some (paid) courses on psychology of editing that help.

:)

Philip Jensen

Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Youtuber
The only help that I can offer is the well known saying "the devil is hidden in details" (as b-roll)
and if you have time you can watch the full Alfred Hitchcock interview in Youtube (free).
Any technique like voice over (killer) audio over spectacular pictures and so
with fall apart if there is no story.

One of my favorites is the "five knights promo reel" in vimeo. If you wish watch it.
There is not really a story but the way individual clips are merged and presented,
tell a story.

There are also some (paid) courses on psychology of editing that help.

:)

Thanks for the tips, it's really cool! I will definately watch some more Alfred Hitchcock, I love his work.
I will also look up the promo reel and if you have any links the to courses on editing, do not feel shy – just share :)

Maybe I wrongly formulated my first message, but I wanted to ask if you had any concerns trying to share insights into story-telling with your audience while also doing vlogs. Or if you would separate the two?

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
  1. Other
my apologies, no links available, it was some courses I had ages ago I think in Pluralsight or similar site.
Anyway now on Youtube there are so many topics relating psychology with editing, color, match cutting etc....

I cannot tell about vlogging or splitting the channel. I have no idea about! Maybe someone else can advise :)