How to tap into a new audience?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hello everyone~
My current audience according to my analytics is 99% UK based, 99% male and between 30 and 60 years old. However, this is not my target audience at all. About a year ago my audience was about 50/50 on gender, with ages between 20 and 40 and based all around the world. I don't know what caused this shift, but it's frustrating I am not reaching my intended target audience.

Adding to this, I build a lot of my audience while I was living in the UK and was traveling the UK. But a month ago I moved to Australia. My Australia videos are doing so-so, but I recently uploaded an older vlog I shot in Wales and that got way more views. So the content I am able to create now doesn't align anymore with what my current audience really wants to see.

Changing my content back to what it was (UK vlogs) isn't an option, so I need to build a different audience. But how do I do that?

MCU Fanatics

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can't control the audience that will see your videos, the only thing that you can control is your content. So, if you want to change your audience, you have to change your content. I personally think so. Btw I'm new on YT so I'm not reliable at all :) lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
You can't control the audience that will see your videos, the only thing that you can control is your content.
This is untrue. You can control which demographics see your videos by promoting them on certain platforms. For example, I've been posting on Instagram, which has a considerable younger audience.
Plus, I have already changed my content. In the past half year I've been posting vlogs from New Zealand, the Netherlands and Australia.

Here there is my second video if you're interested :)
Please do not promote your video in topics like this. It is completely unrelated to the subject and frankly quite rude.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Mmmm this is a really hard question IMO so I'll do my best to help...

Not sure if it's related but let me give you an example with a gaming channel and target audience.

Today I like PUBG.. I grew my channel, I got an audience and everyone's happy
Tomorrow I love COD, I will do 10x better content but my actual audience is not interested so they won't watch the videos

YES, you can "try" to control your audience cause you decide the content but in reality and from a channel perspective it should be the audience's decision to watch whatever they prefer and that's why you should adapt your content... BUT with 1 condition... if your subscribers aren't giving you the views you deserve, make content for a new and bigger audience.

Audience decides the content, YES ... BUT this doesn't mean you cannot change your content. On the contrary, you are in the best stage of a small channel and that is: "trying new stuff / experimenting". Since you don't have a big audience you can do as much "trial and error" as you want until you find something that is making you grow the way your channel should grow! It took me months to find my "sub-niche / niche of a niche"

For a gaming channel, changing game is almost as changing audience (if you don't have a strong fanbase) and changing game is pretty much starting a new channel again. It can take you months to be part of the algorithm with your new content and you'll face some rough low views since you need to build a new audience and start again, BUT since you are small those demographics can change in 24h if you hit a video with 100K views so don't take those numbers too seriously and focus more on creating something new that you like and that people want to watch

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for your insights :) Another testament that being a Gaming channel is really difficult!

It can take you months to be part of the algorithm with your new content and you'll face some rough low views since you need to build a new audience and start again, BUT since you are small those demographics can change in 24h if you hit a video with 100K views so don't take those numbers too seriously and focus more on creating something new that you like and that people want to watch
Yeah, guess I'll have to give it some more time. I'm not hitting those kinds of numbers though, haha! But it is a bit difficult that the two videos that got picked up by the algorithm are very very UK based. If people are finding me through those videos, they are already expecting UK content, not Aus content.
I'll just have to hope one of my Aus vlogs/videos gets picked up and overshadows the UK ones.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for your insights :) Another testament that being a Gaming channel is really difficult!

Yeah, guess I'll have to give it some more time. I'm not hitting those kinds of numbers though, haha! But it is a bit difficult that the two videos that got picked up by the algorithm are very very UK based. If people are finding me through those videos, they are already expecting UK content, not Aus content.
I'll just have to hope one of my Aus vlogs/videos gets picked up and overshadows the UK ones.
Tell me about it! my most popular video (360K) is a BUG video... that's kind of taboo in gaming, growing with bugs and glitches. That video gave me an audience of people who only wanted more of that kind of content which is difficult and dangerous to make... it took me months to change/find new content to build a different audience and even after all that time,, I still don't have a video that surpasses my BUG video. That's why I say... the audience will choose you and when you hit those numbers and that happens... you cannot stop it, you can't decide if people can subscribe or not cause you will know if they are subscribing for the wrong reason. And during 2 months I had really low views and subs cause all that Bug/Glitches audience didn't get what they wanted so they stopped watching... and we are talking about the same game. Try changing game and that's a whole other story, same for you if you change city. You have a good strategy right now, keep it general but within a niche and every now and then city/country videos!

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think the problem is that you look good :) That´s why mostely men watch your videos:up2::)
Haha, thanks, but not exactly why I want people to watch me xD I actually have quite a lot of skin problems (eczema), so really don't look so great often.

But I'd like a more balanced audience, travel content is for everyone :) I know the statistics are a bit off, since half a dozen friends of mine who are female and my age watch my videos as well.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Where is your location set in channel settings? Perhaps if this is changed to Australia you will see more local traffic?
And there is nothing wrong with a UK man 30-60 as I fall into this catagory! I joke of course but your analytics could just be incorrect? Unless we really are just all old pervs..

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think the problem is that you look good :) That´s why mostely men watch your videos:up2::)
Dave had the cojones to say what we were too afraid to lol/ Maybe upload stuff we hate like make up tutorials as a quick male extermination run. Of course your videos should not be valued in this way though and you make awesome videos. To shift your UK audience maybe try going into settings and changing the country where your channel exists. I forget where to find that. Also put some target countries in the title, desc, tags, and channel tags.