Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

How to stop being shy when recording my mic?

Discussion in 'Strategies & Technique Advice' started by Shikabambi, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Shikabambi
    Cash:
    $15
    I have always been the awkward type, but when it comes to YouTube I'm so outgoing. But still, I'm extremely shy and awkward when I talk into my mic. When I look at my old videos from my old channel, I was loud and talked all the time. And back then nobody in my family knew I was a YouTuber!

Whenever I feel like recording, I always get worried that I'll sound dumb to my family. Everyone in my house knows that I'm a YouTuber though. They know exactly what I'm doing, but it feels so strange to me. Does anyone else at all feel like this? What are some methods to get my stuff together and be myself?

2. Hazzador
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $25
    I get this feeling all the time. I just tend to record when I am home alone so I don't have to worry about people listening to me. It also takes practise just to gain confidence, my older commentaries are so bad haha

3. KatyAdelson
    I Love YTtalk Moderator
    Cash:
    $4,063
    I moved this to the strategy forum. ^_^

4. HalieCakes
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $3
    I find it just takes practice. I'm getting better but when I get really nervous I stutter really bad. Something I find that helps is if I have something small in my hands I can play with when making a commentary. When it comes to other people listening, you just have to realize that the people in your house know what you're doing. Anytime I start recording I announce that I'm doing so. Then they know what I'm doing and why I'm sounding so silly and repeating myself a million times lol ^_^

5. Sinc
    Mr Not That Famous
    Cash:
    $16
    turn the mic on and tape yourself speaking, without it being for youtube. That's how i was able to just tape myself doing embarrassing things. I no longer see the camera as "oh somebody could see this", it's more "lol i got that on camera, lemme see what nonsense i did today" and sometimes i upload it.

6. Ishay Frenkel
    Cash:
    $37
    I don't think of anyone when I'm recording, I'm focusing only on the subject I'm talking about and I think you should also do so.
    Don't think about sounding dumb, think about presenting yourself the best you can, so just be yourself, if you'll look awkward - that's your unique awkwardness, which is what special about you, and it's great :)

Shikabambi likes this.
  7. ChrisLegend
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $7
    I know those feels exactly haha. I still get embarrassed talking to my family about my channel even though I know full well that they watch my videos. In regards to speaking more naturally, I find that it just takes practice like a lot of other skills. Eventually it will just 'click' one day and it'll feel awesome :)

8. jd_techsetupgear
    Cash:
    $69
    Try learning some theater techniques and also public speaking and mainly practice on just speaking in front of the camera and microphone without them on, and do it over and over again until to you get comfortable with it. It's something that takes a lot of repetition

Shikabambi likes this.
  9. NoirAscii
    Liking YTtalk
    Cash:
    $20
    I understand where you're coming from, it's almost like performance anxiety. Try and think about it like this: Do you like what you create?

If you do, then focus on how much you enjoy it. At the end of the day, some will like it, some won't. As for talking into a microphone, as weird as this sounds, think of it as if you're talking to a friend. Then it becomes less of a feeling that you're commentating and more of a chilled out conversation. Your audience are almost like your family, with you some of your viewers ARE your family. So show them how much your audience and content mean to you, it will be reflected back in kind.

Best of luck!

Shikabambi likes this.
  10. Scottnra
    Cash:
    $26
    I've been speaking publicly, doing training classes and seminars for a long time and it does take some getting used to and practice. nothing helps more than doing it. For me, I am speaking to one person as I would if that one person was right there. Like you would to a friend just hanging out. I don't even consider the crowd even when there is one in person anymore. I am literally talking to them one at a time. And definitely don't try to be someone you are not. that will never work.

NoirAscii likes this.