How to start/improve your Gaming/Funny Moments Channel!

How much time do you spend editing each one of your videos?

• Total voters

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Okay first off,
I've only been on YouTube for a little over 2 years so far, and been making funny moments style content for about 8 months, so if you guys have any other recommendations, please comment them down below! Now that we are done with that, I want to share how I make my videos, and some general tips for making any gaming video.

1. If you have a bad microphone, please for the love of god, use Audacity to record your voice, and use the noise reduction tool to reduce static noises, there are plenty of tutorials on it. And, if you have a smaller mic, you can take an old sock and stretch it over so that the audience can't hear you breathing, and everytime you pronounce your p's it doesn't sound like a tornado.
  2. In my opinion, the only video editor that you will ever need it Hitfilm Express, unless you are doing complicated effects, in that case I would recommend the Adobe Software Suite, which has Premiere Pro and After Effects. Hitfilm Express if free, and you can buy the upgraded version if you really like it. Editing on there is a breeze, there are plenty of tutorials, and the only downside is that scrubbing through your timeline is laggy sometimes.
  3. In every single case I would say that follow this philosophy : Quality of Quantity. I know that there are a lot of gaming channels out there that do crappy videos twice a day, but eventually, people will grow up and realise that they're videos are crappy, and will look for better content. I have gone the Quantity over Quality route, and it was neither fun, nor rewarding. But, at least post once every week, or ten days at max.
  4. Subtitles are optional for funny moments, I only use them to put emphasis on the punch line, you don't need to subtitle the whole video. I would also recommend making it so that the words in your subtitle only appear when you say them, not just pop in a subtitle that has your whole sentence, that can ruin the moment sometimes. To find some good examples of this, I would recommend Fitz, Swaggersouls, and Smii7y. They are my inspiration, and good content creators in general, so check them out!
  5. A discord server is something that you may want to think about, I find it helpful to make polls on what my subscribers want for videos, and to speak with other content creators. I host weekly events where I record and play with whoever wants to join, and it's always a fun time!
  6. For funny moments, competitive games are normally a no-go, but if your squad has the right attitude, you can make them work. I would recommend games like Stick Fight : The Game, Golf With Your Friends, Mario Kart, Golf It, Fortnite (Playground Mode), GMod, and other random games you may find! i mostly record free games nowadays, that way I can get everyone in my discord server involved.
  7. Just have fun! If you are forcing your videos, you can definitely tell, and don't monetise until you can actually make a decent amount of money from it, or people will feel as though you don't care about them, just their views.
  8. Please read your comments on a daily basis, and if you are watching similar content to yours on youtube, and you have a beneficial or funny comment, put it in the comments. Believe it or not, people will actually subscribe to your from that, as long as your not advertising or saying anything that is self-promoting. Reading your comments is one of the best ways to interact with your audience, other than discord, which I mentioned earlier. Respond to as many comments as you can, and having a favorite comment section in your videos is always a good idea, once your get enough people watching to have good comments in the video.
I hope this helps you guys on your journey through YouTube! I was planning on teaching you guys how to edit, and how to make thumbnails, but I think this post is long enough XD. I might make another post, let me know what you think! Remember, if you have anything else beneficial, please comment below!

Reactions: OldManTenno

ziiChex

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I spend tons of time editing my funny videos! it really is a lot of work!

Nicekid76

The Bostonian YTtalker
Reaction score
Website
nicekid76.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
My videos are only 3 - 5 min long and I spend 2 - 4 hours editing them and could easily spend more time editing. The more planning I put into it the less time editing takes, but obviously the more time I spent planning.

I've heard of podcasters who clap 3 times when they make a mistake so it's easier for them to find it and cut it out. I imagine something like that might make editing long form content like a gaming video more streamline.

Subtitles are optional for funny moments, I only use them to put emphasis on the punch line, you don't need to subtitle the whole video.
when you say Subtitles, if you mean Open caption that are part of the video and can't be turned off, then I agree.
But if you mean closed captions that viewers can turn on and off and translate, then I disagree.
I caption my videos for people who are not native English speakers and for people who are hard of hearing. Also, people can always auto translate the captions into their language seeing as 80% of the world doesn't speak English.

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I mean by putting captions in the actual video when you are editing it, and captions like that are a funny moments thing.

Reactions: Nicekid76

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To make a single video often takes more than 15 hours for me. Everything from scripting to making the animations takes A LOT of time:( That is the main reason why I dont upload more videos. I have have also changed my style a little towards funny/comedy animation (just to be a bit different than other channel in my niche) and trying to be funny can take a lot of time too, sure you know all about that:) Very cool post by the way and good advice, thanks:up2:

Poisonous Penguin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay first off,
I've only been on YouTube for a little over 2 years so far, and been making funny moments style content for about 8 months, so if you guys have any other recommendations, please comment them down below! Now that we are done with that, I want to share how I make my videos, and some general tips for making any gaming video.

1. If you have a bad microphone, please for the love of god, use Audacity to record your voice, and use the noise reduction tool to reduce static noises, there are plenty of tutorials on it. And, if you have a smaller mic, you can take an old sock and stretch it over so that the audience can't hear you breathing, and everytime you pronounce your p's it doesn't sound like a tornado.
  2. In my opinion, the only video editor that you will ever need it Hitfilm Express, unless you are doing complicated effects, in that case I would recommend the Adobe Software Suite, which has Premiere Pro and After Effects. Hitfilm Express if free, and you can buy the upgraded version if you really like it. Editing on there is a breeze, there are plenty of tutorials, and the only downside is that scrubbing through your timeline is laggy sometimes.
  3. In every single case I would say that follow this philosophy : Quality of Quantity. I know that there are a lot of gaming channels out there that do crappy videos twice a day, but eventually, people will grow up and realise that they're videos are crappy, and will look for better content. I have gone the Quantity over Quality route, and it was neither fun, nor rewarding. But, at least post once every week, or ten days at max.
  4. Subtitles are optional for funny moments, I only use them to put emphasis on the punch line, you don't need to subtitle the whole video. I would also recommend making it so that the words in your subtitle only appear when you say them, not just pop in a subtitle that has your whole sentence, that can ruin the moment sometimes. To find some good examples of this, I would recommend Fitz, Swaggersouls, and Smii7y. They are my inspiration, and good content creators in general, so check them out!
  5. A discord server is something that you may want to think about, I find it helpful to make polls on what my subscribers want for videos, and to speak with other content creators. I host weekly events where I record and play with whoever wants to join, and it's always a fun time!
  6. For funny moments, competitive games are normally a no-go, but if your squad has the right attitude, you can make them work. I would recommend games like Stick Fight : The Game, Golf With Your Friends, Mario Kart, Golf It, Fortnite (Playground Mode), GMod, and other random games you may find! i mostly record free games nowadays, that way I can get everyone in my discord server involved.
  7. Just have fun! If you are forcing your videos, you can definitely tell, and don't monetise until you can actually make a decent amount of money from it, or people will feel as though you don't care about them, just their views.
  8. Please read your comments on a daily basis, and if you are watching similar content to yours on youtube, and you have a beneficial or funny comment, put it in the comments. Believe it or not, people will actually subscribe to your from that, as long as your not advertising or saying anything that is self-promoting. Reading your comments is one of the best ways to interact with your audience, other than discord, which I mentioned earlier. Respond to as many comments as you can, and having a favorite comment section in your videos is always a good idea, once your get enough people watching to have good comments in the video.
I hope this helps you guys on your journey through YouTube! I was planning on teaching you guys how to edit, and how to make thumbnails, but I think this post is long enough XD. I might make another post, let me know what you think! Remember, if you have anything else beneficial, please comment below!
Thank you this helped a lot! I already use hitfilm though. Also using a sock as a sound filter is genius! The main problem in my videos is I try to rush my editing and I don't really sound interested and I sound boring.