How to shoot better videos on a smartphone?

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
With due respect to all, I think that some postings have missed the main point of HonestG33k’s question. He is asking how he can make better videos with his smartphone. Some replies have advised him to get various attachments and even suggesting that in due course he might want to get a different camera. He may not be in a position to invest more money or have the desire to do so.

This is why my earlier advice to HonestG33k’s was to practice, practice and more practice, with the camera he has. Friends have produced some really great videos with quite inexpensive smartphones. I also advised him to look on YT where there are many tutorials giving advice on getter better results with smartphone cameras just as they are.

I also asked him to tell us the sort of videos he is interested in taking. We can advise further then.

I do hope he will answer that in due course.
Regards. Pete.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
all of our early videos and at least 1/2 of the footage of all newer videos is done on smartphones (Iphone 6S, 7, 8, & 8Plus)... We've never used any third party camera apps - we did try FilmicPro for a while, but because we do all of our filming outdoors "on the fly", we couldn't use it because generally you need to stop and look at your settings before shooting, and for our action videos we dont have time for that. We also tried a wide-angle clip-on lens for a while, but dumped it.

We've found that by practicing keeping the camera steady (doing the 'stork walk' while filming) and/or using a tripod, then adding some color correction and stabilization in post, the phones work great.. If you look at our channel-trailer below, virtually all of that footage was shot on an iPhone..

Reactions: Honest G33K

Honest G33K

Reaction score
One huge tip I can give to you.

Get a phone tripod, I bought one called a
Manfrotto Mini Tripod

It's expensive but really is worth the money, I don't just use it for taking/making videos but I also use it to prop my phone up as I watch videos in bed and stuff.

It's honestly the best purchase I've ever made. it a must for makig videos and keeping your video steady.

As for the rest it really does depend on your phone and specs and stuff, but honestly having a good quality tripod that you can stand on your desk is essential.

Also having a selfe stick is a good choice as well, helps when you want to film out and about or just get shots from different angels,
That's a good tip and thank you!

Honest G33K

Reaction score
Hi Honest,
Although I have a smartphone I never use it for ‘serious’ videos. Yes, I know many folk make some first class videos using such phones, but having been in the video making scene (as a keen amateur) for many years I have always used what I would call a ‘proper’ video camera. However, you have what you have, so let's go from there and please don’t think I’m talking down to you.

The first question I would ask is ‘What sort of videos do you like taking?’ Just as a few ‘for instances’, are you interested in taking family videos of the children at play – indoors or out? Maybe holiday videos in exotic places? Team sports games, again indoors or out, the list is endless. As already suggested, having a decent tripod will improve your videos 100%. A tripod with a proper pan/tilt head will be the best.

However,
in all the above ideas for videos, the use of a tripod, especially a substantial one, would be inconvenient at least. One of the great advantages of a smartphone camera is its portability. Take from the pocket and it’s ready to go.

So I would like to suggest putting in lots and lots of practice in holding your camera as steady as possible. Using the W/Angle whenever possible will give you steadier shots as opposed to telephoto where every little shake will show up in the video. For the moment, forget spending good money on extras, but spend much time learning to use what you have much better.

You ask about the focus of your camera and I can only say RTFM. (For those not sure of that meaning it’s Read The Flipping Manual). Re the rule of Thirds. There are so many YouTube videos explaining all about this sort of thing and there are many tutorials on YT to assist in getting better results from a phone camera. Viewing these is much better than any of us trying to explain in words. Making good videos is something that takes a lifetime to learn - and even then there will still be a lot more to learn.

Back to square one . . . Tell us the sort of subject matter you are keen on and we can discuss further.
With best wishes. Pete.
Wow pete! First and foremost, thank you for the long and really full of wisdom reply. There are a lot of tips you've given there!

Probably the best way to tell you is that I make tech videos where I review them. Most of the parts are B-Rolls of the product which I need to do transitions such as panning, sliding and others.

I don't know if what I said helped, but if it did, I'm really hoping to hear from you back!

Honest G33K

Reaction score
With due respect to all, I think that some postings have missed the main point of HonestG33k’s question. He is asking how he can make better videos with his smartphone. Some replies have advised him to get various attachments and even suggesting that in due course he might want to get a different camera. He may not be in a position to invest more money or have the desire to do so.

This is why my earlier advice to HonestG33k’s was to practice, practice and more practice, with the camera he has. Friends have produced some really great videos with quite inexpensive smartphones. I also advised him to look on YT where there are many tutorials giving advice on getter better results with smartphone cameras just as they are.

I also asked him to tell us the sort of videos he is interested in taking. We can advise further then.

I do hope he will answer that in due course.
Regards. Pete.
Thank you Pete again for the realistic view of my current situation! Like I said in my previous reply, my main objective is probably to learn to take the best kind of B-Rolls for product review(tech).

And yes if it does help, I'm using a phone that's kinda old like 2014. The specs are top notch back then but on today standards, it is not really close to it.

Honest G33K

Reaction score
I would say that if he has tripod to buy it is better to get than some of those small black mics and usb external card and have at least audio as required. Make sure to know the resolution in which your phone records, have few of them use some books for adjusting them somewhere around buy the cheap mic or use headphones with mic get the help from the Sun and that is like everything you can do for now. Than be creative in your editing software and i say that is like the max you can get with basically no budget. It is so hard compared to like having switcher,pro cameras monitor someone adjusting cameras lights around you,green screen but what can you do. So my advice is put them somewhere,if you know about positioning that is even better get some nice audio and light from Sun and record and than painfully edit in software.
Thank you for the tips![DOUBLEPOST=1532694882,1532694793][/DOUBLEPOST]
common joke, "...don't worry, it can be fixed in post!..." :p :D

Explore the possibility to use noname actioncam acessories with an adapter from e.g. gopro to 3/4inch (as far as I know) screw adapted smartphone holder. A tripod is limiting movement. Browse actioncam acessories and you might find interesting that they can be hand held, mounted literally everywhere etc. etc. The reason I am suggesting noname acessories is that i assume that in time you will move to a camcorder :)
A really new perspective way for me to think, so I thank you! Having action cam accessories will definitely help a lot! Hope your assumption comes true :D[DOUBLEPOST=1532695251][/DOUBLEPOST]
all of our early videos and at least 1/2 of the footage of all newer videos is done on smartphones (Iphone 6S, 7, 8, & 8Plus)... We've never used any third party camera apps - we did try FilmicPro for a while, but because we do all of our filming outdoors "on the fly", we couldn't use it because generally you need to stop and look at your settings before shooting, and for our action videos we dont have time for that. We also tried a wide-angle clip-on lens for a while, but dumped it.

We've found that by practicing keeping the camera steady (doing the 'stork walk' while filming) and/or using a tripod, then adding some color correction and stabilization in post, the phones work great.. If you look at our channel-trailer below, virtually all of that footage was shot on an iPhone..
Somehow I found what you said was motivating to me and is making me feel great! I watched the trailer and wow if you didn't tell me, I would have said it was from some expensive camera!

I will be looking to learn the 'stork walk' like you said and here's to hoping that it will help in many ways!