How to see which videos have been shared on external sites?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
In Analytics it shows that about 15% of my traffic comes from external links to my videos. It also shows me the the URL of the sites that traffic is coming from. What it does not show is WHICH videos are linked on those external sites or provide a link to the page where the videos have been shared.

Is there any way to find out "Which" videos have been shared on external sites, or better yet, get a link to the page where they have been shared?

KiahOnFire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you're on youtube studio go to analytics / reach viewers scroll down and it shows you a tab called "traffic source external" it shows you like the top 5 sites- and you can click on this and it will show all the sources... that's the only way i've found to really look into it... You could then go further and go on those sites and search your video. But I don't think theirs any direct links or anything like that-[DOUBLEPOST=1537196682,1537196604][/DOUBLEPOST]I forgot to mention you can do the same with this if you click on one of your videos then you can see where that particular video has been looked at from

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks, but that is not what I am asking. As I said in the OP, Analytics shows what sites my videos have been shared on, but not WHICH videos have been shared. Yes, I could go through each one of my hundreds of videos one by one doing deep multiple research into traffic sources and eventually find out the information I am looking for, and then I could use that information to do hundreds of searches on google trying to find the pages where the videos were shared, but that would take days to do. Why go through all of that work when youtube already knows exactly where the information came from, the page it was shared on, and even who shared it?

KiahOnFire

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unfortunately I don't know apart from that- Hopefully someone else can answer... vidIQ might help but it's been a long time since I've used it (It's youtube certified)

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks. I have got a test going on right now. I have embedded a tracking code into all my videos. Once google updates (which may take days or weeks), it should allow me to find the pages that have shared my videos via embedding. Not sure of it will work for links though. if it works, I come back and tell you how to do it.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It is working, but slowly. I now get 34 of google results when I type in my unique one of kind code. Most result are just my youtube videos from my yt account, but some external results have started to pop up today. So far they are just other video sites that are showing Related videos to a video on their site, so I am sure this is some sort of automated linking system. But hey, is shows that other video sites are linking back to my videos. That's good. Maybe with more time I will start to see where real people have actually shared my videos.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
if you go into the analytics of each video individually it will show your traffic sources for just that video. basically go into your analytics then if the video is in your top 10 you can click that video then go to traffic sources, if its not in your top 10 you can still do it but you may need to go into watch time or another analytic first to find the video then after your in the analytics for that video then you can click on traffic sources and it should only show for that video.

kind of a backwards time consuming way of doing what your trying to do...lol

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Well, I am up to 62 google results so far. The method I used seems to only work for sites that have embedded my videos, not for sites where a link has been shared. It is obviously going to take a long time for google to fully update it's index and catch the new code, but it is working to some degree. Now if I could find a way to search for external links too. I wish youtube would make our channel id part of each share link. That would make it easy to find out where all your videos have been shared.

Reactions: KiahOnFire