How to Record Phone Screens ??

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
How do you record phone screens accurately with a webcam or DSLR ?

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For DSLR I guess you'd need a tripod with a ball head that can be tilted down (so the phone can be pretty stationary on the surface) or some rig for top-down shooting. Then you'd need to pick on a lens that would give you the framing you want at the distance you're shooting from. And also that can focus on the phone if the camera is close. Also, manual settings so you can sync the shutter to screen refresh rate to eliminate flicker (if there's any), to get a solid exposure and to not have the focus drift around.

Mcrocks9

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Why not just use a recorder app on your phone. I use AZ Recorder.

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
For DSLR I guess you'd need a tripod with a ball head that can be tilted down (so the phone can be pretty stationary on the surface) or some rig for top-down shooting. Then you'd need to pick on a lens that would give you the framing you want at the distance you're shooting from. And also that can focus on the phone if the camera is close. Also, manual settings so you can sync the shutter to screen refresh rate to eliminate flicker (if there's any), to get a solid exposure and to not have the focus drift around.

Thanks for the reply, But Im not that big of a DSLR enthusiast what do you mean by a lens that gives me the "framing" I want and what kinds of lenses are good up close ? .

So to recap I need a tripod with a ball head,these lenses and also I need to sync the refresh rate of the camera with the refresh rate of the phone screen itself.

Why not just use a recorder app on your phone. I use AZ Recorder.
I would but I'd like the audience to see the experience with the hands in the view. To give it more of a human feel. Similarly no apple commercials ever featured just the screen showing. But usually one hand holding the phone and the other interacting with the app.

JayJay Magic

Reaction score
Why couldn't you just download a screen recorder app on your phone? That would be easier.

Edoziethe1and0nly

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Why couldn't you just download a screen recorder app on your phone? That would be easier.
I was just saying earlier to Mcrocks9 that I would prefer the audience to see the hands to get a more human feel to the experience.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for the reply, But Im not that big of a DSLR enthusiast what do you mean by a lens that gives me the "framing" I want and what kinds of lenses are good up close ? .

So to recap I need a tripod with a ball head,these lenses and also I need to sync the refresh rate of the camera with the refresh rate of the phone screen itself.
What I mean is that it depends on what distance the camera will be from your surface and how much of "white space" you want and how much space you want the device to take. If you're filming different sized devices, either an adjustable lens or and adjustable tripod would probably be a good choice.

To give you an idea, turn on your phone camera, point it straight down on something on a desk and put an object there that you think is similar sized to the devices you're shooting. Now, move the camera up or down until you have what you think will be a good framing. For example, with my iPhone 6S Plus I'd put the camera at around 30-50cm above the surface to get the framing I'd like. I think the iPhone lens is 29mm so I can then start from that. If I can't get the camera close enough, I would get maybe a 40mm lens. Or if the tripod I'd have would make the camera be closer, maybe I'd get a 20mm lens.

If possible, I think a 50mm lens is considered what human eye sees, so that could also be a good starting point and then just get a tripod that gets the camera to give you the framing you want with that lens.