How to record a synthesizer on video?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm a musician, and plays on synthesizers. And for a long time I've wanted to show people what I'm doing on YouTube. And when I am doing it, I want to get high quality movies with good and clear sound. So, before I explain what I ask for, take a look at this video:
In this video, as many others, you can hear the synthesizer like it's connected direct to the camera. But it can't be that easy, or can it? I've thought of one way how I can do this that is realistic, but it's a complicated process, and I hope that it could be way easier. What I have thought is that I record the synthesizer on ProTools through a interface and record the video separately, and then synchronizes the audio and video later.

So, any suggestions on how to do this? I hope that everyone understand what I'm talking about here :)

jake weber

Check out my Partnered Channel!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think you pretty much answered you question here.. I record my music though logic 9 and sync the audio to my videos in post production. Its a lot more work, but in the end it give you a better quality video!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think you pretty much answered you question here.. I record my music though logic 9 and sync the audio to my videos in post production. Its a lot more work, but in the end it give you a better quality video!
Ok. So you can't connect a camera to for example a mixer? It would been a lot easier if you could do that, because then you don't need to do the whole editing process after you've recorded something.

jake weber

Check out my Partnered Channel!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Ok. So you can't connect a camera to for example a mixer? It would been a lot easier if you could do that, because then you don't need to do the whole editing process after you've recorded something.
You could do that also.. there are many ways of doing what you want to do.. it just depends how much work you want to put at it.

K.V Anime

Nerds With Passports
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The way I do it is I connect my mixer to my Zoom H4n, which is connected to my camera. It records me talking and the outputs from my mixer.
In the beginning of this video is an example of what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The way I do it is I connect my mixer to my Zoom H4n, which is connected to my camera. It records me talking and the outputs from my mixer.
In the beginning of this video is an example of what I'm talking about.

Nice! Seems like it works fine and with good sound. But I'm not sure how I will do it yet. I guess I have to try out different things and see which of them that has the best result for my preferances :)