How to re-promote your old videos?

Samantha McLean

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey not to sound too much like a noob but can you explain to me how reddit actually works? i hear the word subbreddit being thrown around but i don't actually understand it. i created an account and i try to post my content on there....1- i only see a limited amount of categories and most you cant post in.2- i post in the youtube startup category and i barely get views. how do you make your topic/post show up so that it reaches a big audience. i do mobile tech stuff so phone tutorials, app reviews, rants etc...would that not be a good niche on reddit or what?

Well it's true not every niche will do well in Reddit. What I suggest is you google the list of subreddits and see if you can make use out of any of them.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hey not to sound too much like a noob but can you explain to me how reddit actually works? i hear the word subbreddit being thrown around but i don't actually understand it. i created an account and i try to post my content on there....1- i only see a limited amount of categories and most you cant post in.2- i post in the youtube startup category and i barely get views. how do you make your topic/post show up so that it reaches a big audience. i do mobile tech stuff so phone tutorials, app reviews, rants etc...would that not be a good niche on reddit or what?
Subreddits are just the different categories in Reddit, each with it's own different rules and different size of subscribers. If you want to hit a big audience you have to go to a big subreddit, but of course it's much harder to rank number one. You'll need better content and a better understanding on how to time your reddit post.

Reddit is not something you can learn in a day. It took me months to figure it out. Here are some tips

- Your first 2 weeks, don't post your own content. Participate in lots of different subbredits, give good comments and increase your Comment Karma. Many subbreddits won't let you post if your account is too new, or/and if you don't have enough post or comment karmas. During this time, just study how reddit works. Read the different rules in different subbredits and pay attention to videos that do really well. If you find a video similar to what you do and it's number one, then study that video. If you want easy comment Karma, go to /r/askreddit
- Title your videos well. Again this takes practice and might take a while to get a grasp. Pay attention to the titles of those who hit number one in a subbreddit you want to trend in.
- Learn how to time posts. I wrote a big post on this. But in general, if you want to hit number one, don't post when there's already a post with so many upvotes that hasn't reached its peak. Otherwise your video won't really be watched

Again Reddit takes time to learn. And it's possible it might not like your niche. But I'm pretty sure there's lots of subreddits that can work for mobile tech stuff, phone tutorials and app reviews. So start by googling the list of subreddits.

Last edited:

Samantha McLean

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks alot man this was really helpful I'll definitely get on to researching the subreddits as you said as well as increasing my karma. Have a great day!!

Johnny Dee

I've Got It
Reaction score
What,s wrong with promoting old videos. Each video is a property just like movies that re run for decades, they way I feel if the video doesn't,t have billions of views, there are a lot of people that didn't,t see it.

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Here's an idea. At least for me, I structured my content to the point where I could take just a small part of the video and it can be it's own stand alone video. I use small clips throughout the weeks/months sparatically with my regular content on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat and just direct to the YouTube video itself. You are creating more great content that gives you more views by rehashing it in new posts, but also giving people a small snipit in a new video they might not have seen before.