How to properly use SEO and tags?

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I means I dont think tags are that important unless you use the right one. I noticed some of my tags are high ranked and in another video its not? why is that?

what about relevance? Like for me, I make a dirtbike video and I put

dirtbike, dirtbikes, KTM, KLX250 (names of bikes)
should I also include offroad, mountains, colorado, colorado springs vlog,

or strictly related to "dirtbikes"? i mean technicall I am in colorado and I am vlogging, so I should use them?

Reactions: karan yadav

Krisfire

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Director
the biggest thing I've found is that you want a few short keywords (LIke you have) but then more longform keywords that people will search for, think of what you would type to search for something dirtbike related, say for example. KTM dirtbike, KTM dirtbike ride, KTM dirtbike review. and totally throw the vlogger and vlog tags in there, they definitely wont hurt lol. At the end of the day this is just a film guy with moderate seo experience talking so take that as you will lol.

Reaction score
I've had some success by researching the tags that other videos that cover the same subject use. I view the tags on videos that I would like to appear in the "suggested videos" beside and then use some of them in my own video. Not sure if it really works but I do tend to actually appear in the suggested videos for most of them so you might consider doing the same.

Carlos X

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
thanks for all of your inputs!
Those tags are akin to keywords, so yes, they are important. In fact that's how SEO is done on YT. This is technical stuff, don't worry about how YT treats it, just understand that those tags are designed for two things: Placing your video into THAT specific niche, and for Google bot(s) filing it under that niche in Google search engine.

Now, the reason why you're not appearing for the keyword you search on YT, it's because of the YT algorithm. The more competitive the keyword, the harder it is to rank for that keyword. True in Google Search, and true in YT. The more popular you are on YT, the easier it is to rank for the keywords you want, so the best way to work around this is targeting for keywords with low competition, as a few others said. So, in addition to these keywords you have listed:

dirtbike, dirtbikes, KTM, KLX250

Put in (for example listed above by another user):

KTM dirtbike, KTM dirtbike ride, KTM dirtbike review or any other keyword YOU want to target. If your video is about dirtbike vlogging, then use that.

I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: karan yadav

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
tag does not influence the searching much, i think so

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
yeah i heard that somewhere...pretty odd how YT works
no, when your channel have a lot of subscriber, hashtag will do it's job excellence, but when you have less . yt will search based on your title

Carlos X

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
yeah i heard that somewhere...pretty odd how YT works
Google is a search engine. YouTube is the #2 or #3 biggest search engine. If you combine the two, the tags you put into that area will yield results either way. I disagree with vito's assessment, I doubt he understands that tags DO benefit you whether you're a small youtuber, or a big youtuber. The issue is how the algorithm works.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Google is a search engine. YouTube is the #2 or #3 biggest search engine. If you combine the two, the tags you put into that area will yield results either way. I disagree with vito's assessment, I doubt he understands that tags DO benefit you whether you're a small youtuber, or a big youtuber. The issue is how the algorithm works.

thanks!! so perhaps I should use tags that might also show up in googles search. The question I had is, should I use only non common tags, or should I also use heavy used tags...so for example in my offroad channel

almost everyone has

"dirtbike" as a tag but a lot of people dont have "Dirtbiking in Colorado trail systems" should I avoid using "dirtbike" and ONLY use large keyword type searches