How to promote my new travel VLOG channel?

Dustin TheWind

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post (I'm new here), but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to market myself. I never used social media before, so I don't have any personal accounts to leverage off of. I made social media accounts that extend off of my new YouTube channel, but they have zero to a few followers thus far. Without a personal social media foundation to draw from, where can I go to self promote? I've made a twitter and instagram account thus far. I've also purchased a domain, but have yet to finish my website. Also, I'd rather avoid Reddit if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ater

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Since you are focusing on travelling I'll guess forums and reddits focusing on that would be away. Let's say someone asking a question about a place they are about to visit then you can answer their question if it's about a place where you have been and end it with one of your videos from that place. Example:

I'll visited "place" last year, I can really recommend you to visit that zoo, this beach and the museum. It's pretty expensive to eat at the restuarants where all the turists are, but if you go just outside the turist areas you can find very affordable restaurants, I'll recommend restaurant A and restaurant B (+ short info about what food they serve and where to find them). Myself I lived at the Hotel and I really liked it, decent living for a fair price. By the way I recorded a sort video of my visit, check it out if you want to see more about the places I mentioned: video.

Noble_Nate84

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
For travel vlogs I would say instagram would be your best bet. You can post pics of where you are and the beauty of the place and link to your channel. Use a ton of hashtags on each post related to travel and you will soon gain traction with followers. My Instagram is nearing 600 followers now (nowhere near influencer I admit) but with a little work you can easily break 1000 followers.

Fun withSammy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with the above post! You have a great advantage doing a travel vlog! I would post a good 5-10 photos for each video with a range of hashtags related to your video! make sure the photos are good quality photos! good luck!

Fun withSammy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with the above post! You have a great advantage doing a travel vlog! I would post a good 5-10 photos for each video with a range of hashtags related to your video! make sure the photos are good quality photos! good luck!
I'm referring to instagram!

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
For travel vlogs I would say instagram would be your best bet. You can post pics of where you are and the beauty of the place and link to your channel. Use a ton of hashtags on each post related to travel and you will soon gain traction with followers. My Instagram is nearing 600 followers now (nowhere near influencer I admit) but with a little work you can easily break 1000 followers.
Jep, this. I am a travel channel as well and had never used Instagram before. I'm at like 84 followers now, nothing big, but I suck at keeping up social media. Best practices are: 1) Post daily and 2) Hashtag the hell out of your photos. These hashtags are going to help you find a new audience. Generic tags such as #travel and #traveler or more specific tags such as #exploringaustralia all help you be seen.

Two things I learned while doing this though: 1) You need to keep up daily posts, or you will quickly fall off the grid again and 2) Don't fret about losing subs. Lots of people and companies follow you in the hope of getting a follow back and will unfollow again after a few days. I noticed this when I stopped posting daily and saw my follow numbers run back again. But all in all it is pretty easy to grow on Insta, especially if you have loads of travel photos.

ttxela

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do people off instragram ever make it to your youtube channel though? I pretty much gave up on instagram, I quickly built a following and peole liked and commented on my posts there but I got the feeling it hardly drove any traffic to my channel since you can't directly link (although I know you can do it through your bio).

I've found Facebook groups far better really.

Reactions: YouTube4x4

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
Do people off instragram ever make it to your youtube channel though? I pretty much gave up on instagram, I quickly built a following and peole liked and commented on my posts there but I got the feeling it hardly drove any traffic to my channel since you can't directly link (although I know you can do it through your bio).

I've found Facebook groups far better really.
That's part of the challenge on instagram. Due to the format you will get a a lot of folks that just scroll and hit like, without being truly interested on the content. I also notice a lot people agressively promoting their services or product.

I dont have a success story to speak of. But I think it is more important to concentrate on the content or produtct you want to deliver first. The true followers come along long term. I do enjoy instagram since I have been learning and getting into photography for this past year.

Dustin TheWind

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone. I too am new to Instagram, but in one day I earned 40 followers. Since then they have dipped low again, and then climed (as I noticed people fllowing simply in hopes of me following them), but, I will continue with instagram. I do however find that not a single subscriber was earned this way. People have not travelled through instagram to my youtube channel.
And i do think I have to put more effort into establishing presence within the travel community.
Sharing my content has been dictated by my comfort. As I grow more comfortable with what I'm doing, I begin to share more and more with others. Tomorrow I'l post to my personal Facebook page.

One thig for sure is, I don't aim to stop what I'm doing. It's not in my genes, I'm fully committed!