How to not let dislikes get to you?

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do you guys find dislikes on your videos get to you? I've got 6 videos currently, up until now all seemingly well received, lots of likes, no dislikes. I put up a part 2 to a video that was funnily enough my best received video and have an influx of dislikes, 5 compared to 8 likes.

Do you take it personally? Is it something that just happens from time to time?

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You get used to it. The meaning behind someone disliking isn't important as long as you're proud of what you've made. Don't let it get to you!

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There seems to be no discernible reason for them as well. Part 1 had 0, part 2 that is essentially the same has 5. Makes no sense. Ahh well, it is what it is.

Medicstudios

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I actually just made a thread about our rating system about 2 days ago, and it's not that it puts me down or anything, it's simply annoying. I think the dislike button is stupid because small channels look really bad when they get a lot of dislikes. They have a little audience to overcome it. It's not used for constructive criticize anymore, it's used to troll.

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I just ignore it when it happens. If anything having both likes and dislikes means the video is controversial and it's more likely for YouTube to promote it. If someone dislikes my video, fine, how about telling me why in the comments so I can improve?

MuchDoge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Take likes/dislikes like feedback. Don't let hurt it you personally, but try to take that feedback and improve from it. I'm not really a big fan of the dislike system because you have no idea why the person did it. Don't feel down about it, most likely trolls

Last edited:
Reactions: darkstarmedia

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
don't let it get to you. some people on the internet LOVE to say/do things just to be idiots. for example, someone has subbed to our channel and everytime I post a video I almost immediately get a dislike. it's actually kind of funny.

my most disliked video was a parody video I made about david Blaine's bullet catch trick fail. we saw the actual show where he gets shot in the mouth and his mouthpiece breaks, and it was utterly ridiculous so we made a parody of it. got a lot of dislikes (and equal number of likes) but also turned out to be very highly viewed. plus my wife got to shoot me in the face with a nerf gun at like nearly point blank range.

in a nutshell, have fun making your content and don't worry about it.

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was a little bugged that I received a couple dislikes but then I realized that is is still considered traffic to my channel as far as YouTube is concerned so I embrace it now! People are dumb and if they waste their time watching a video and then disliking it, forget them. YOU got a view and traffic out of it :) Stay positive!

amateurgamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally, I think you should ignore dislikes. They are like the bad days you left behind. Instead, think of ways to improve your videos. Your goal is to attract people who cares about your channel. If people don't watch due to a few dislikes u got, they aren't worth subs.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do believe someone dislikes my videos for the sake of it, because I see a few vids in a row get dislikes. But I find it funny, because it´s better for me when that person takes time to it, which earns me views and money!