How to not have grainy videos?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone!

I have a Canon Rebel T6, which has awesome reviews and other YouTubers use the same camera to film and their content looks great. However, everything that I film winds up looking grainy and low quality.

How do I fix this?

The camera is fresh out of the box so I doubt that anything is wrong with it. I've never used a DSLR camera before so I'm thinking that I'm missing something as far as technique goes.

I don't have any special lighting. I just use natural light or the lights in my apartment. But other YouTubers film dark videos all the time and their videos aren't grainy so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. It truly looks like I filmed on a webcam.

Please help. I really want my videos to reflect the work that I put into them and the money that I've put into this camera.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
One of the first issues of grainy videos is usually lightning, so it's wise to invest into them, even though sometimes it can be as simple as a desk lamp (tested and approved from yours truly!) then, in DSLR cameras (if I remember correctly) you can also set some parameters that can help you with low light conditions, but I don't know them from the top of my head.

Reactions: kenziecantdraw

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Usually if you are filming in low light you get "Noise" which is the photography/film term for "Grain", make sure you have good lighting and are shooting on a low ISO. Good luck.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
It's definitely ISO and low Lighting that results to grain in the videos. A desk lamp with a piece of white paper and tape over it works well for low budget lighting. And it's best to fiddle around with the ISO to get the right settings to avoid grain as best as possible. But one more thing I'd like to add is the aperture. The Aperture determines how much light enters the lens of the camera. The lower that F-Stop number for example 3.0 the more light, the higher such as 7.0 the less light you let in. This also helps with narrow or wide focus. But without being too technical just mess around with both settings on manual mode and you should be just fine. Just wanted to open your mind more to help you improve. Best of luck! =]

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They are all correct. If you are worried about lighting being expensive, for beginners, it is not. If you are an amazon prime member, you can get good decent lighting for @60 bucks. Look for:
ESDDI 20"X28" Softbox Photography Lighting Kit 800W Continuous Lighting System Photo Studio Equipment Photo Model Portraits Shooting Box 2pcs E27 Video Lighting Bulb

This will set you up nicely. You might want to also get 2 extension cords because the plugin cords seem to be a bit short sometimes.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
wow yeah it is really bad. A dslr normally gonna be better than filming with a mobile phone. What Zippo said is right. You gotta have a couple of cheap softboxes.. you just can't do it with ordinary lamps. You need them with white shade rather than ordinary yellow, and its best if you also have a top light. Or preferably you need to find which ever window best gets light at certain time of day.. and with the soft boxes too.. and set up there. Takes some practice to get it right.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Make sure your iso isn’t up to high and also use good lighting, some lights will make the video look orange.