How to make Video Responses!

Do you use video responses??

• Total voters

Willabee

Let's be weird together!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer, Other
Unless you're new to YouTube, you'll know that a while back (maybe a year ago, now?) YouTube removed the video response option. You can no longer submit videos as responses to be listed under someone else's video with a thumbnail. That sucks, right? Yah... I thought so too.

When Google integrated YouTube comments with Google+, on the other hand, urls became usable in comments, AND for those of you who haven't discovered this already, when you use the full youtube link to your video, it will actually display the title of your video as a hyperlink! Hence, the video response lives on!
Here's how to do it :)

Normal links like (
Code:
http://www.example.com
) will hyperlink exactly as they are written.

YouTube shortlinks like (
Code:
http://youtu.be/uOzhCmLqPV8
) will also link as they are written.

But when you use the full link, the one that should show up in the address bar and looks like (
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOzhCmLqPV8
), the hyperlink text will change to the title of your video, thus giving you a video response (sort of).

Extra note: The best way to ensure you get the right link is to go into your video manager, hover over the video title you want to use, right click and choose "copy link address". That way you get the full, raw youtube link!

Sad note: Sadly, this does not work with playlist links (or at least it didn't work when I did it). Because playlists are becoming such an essential part of YouTube, that might change in the future. Right now though, it is not an option.

I hope this useful tip will help some of you trying make video responses, or those of you who didn't even know this was an option! And as a note to the mods; I'm pretty sure I put this in the right place, but if I didn't, please put it where it belongs ^u^

Reactions: RedFox

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Reported for advertising yourself in a very subtle manner.

Just kidding, good tip though! Here's another!

Not all channels are going to allow YouTube hyperlinks to be posted in comments.

With the new potential in moderating comments, people can just ban the following words/terms from being in the following.
"https//:www."
"Youtube.com"
".com"

Be careful for who you post comments of video responses on. Some people don't want it, and might as a result ban you from a channel for it. (They have to be grumpy people to do such a thing, but it happens.)

Peter

Obsessed Guitarist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think if you post a comment with a video link on someone else's video it won't be available to the public because it will be under the 'Likely spam' category in the comments section. Atleast for me a lot of those 'Likely spam' comments include a YouTube video link.

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I think if you post a comment with a video link on someone else's video it won't be available to the public because it will be under the 'Likely spam' category in the comments section. Atleast for me a lot of those 'Likely spam' comments include a YouTube video link.
And let's be honest. Nobody want's spam, and when they see it ( unless they know the person who commented personally.) they're most likely going to consider it spam and remove it.

Reactions: Peter

Peter

Obsessed Guitarist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
And let's be honest. Nobody want's spam, and when they see it ( unless they know the person who commented personally.) they're most likely going to consider it spam and remove it.
Yeah well if it's a comment that got marked as spam while it's not I just approve it, other than that I just leave 'em be - like you know, I'm not 'rude' to delete them but it's not visible for my other viewers either so that's fine by me. :)

Super Pawsitive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah well if it's a comment that got marked as spam while it's not I just approve it, other than that I just leave 'em be - like you know, I'm not 'rude' to delete them but it's not visible for my other viewers either so that's fine by me. :)
With the amount of subscribers and views you have. I imagine you get it quite a bit :p

Reactions: Peter

Willabee

Let's be weird together!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Reviewer, Other
Reported for advertising yourself in a very subtle manner.

Just kidding, good tip though! Here's another!

Not all channels are going to allow YouTube hyperlinks to be posted in comments.

With the new potential in moderating comments, people can just ban the following words/terms from being in the following.
"https//:www."
"Youtube.com"
".com"

Be careful for who you post comments of video responses on. Some people don't want it, and might as a result ban you from a channel for it. (They have to be grumpy people to do such a thing, but it happens.)
:xdblush: Yah... I wasn't trying to self-promo, I just needed a link, and using my own seemed like the easier route -_-

Great advice! Thanks for that double information :3 I'm sure it will help others :3 Though I don't usually bother with video responses unless they're to something relevant and wanted. Though I've seen some pretty spammy stuff.

That's true. A few people have sent me stuff like that and it went to the spam box. I know not everyone is like this, but I almost always check the links to see what they're about first. It's better that way, you know? I don't see the use in deleting stuff without looking into it unless it actually seems spammy. Anyway... rambling.

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
This. Changes. EVERYTHING! Well, not everything, BUT IT DOES SOMETHING! :D Thanks man! You learn something new everyday!

Bannik13

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think links work, but even if they do I don't think most people would appreciate it.

EposVox

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah, this doesn't really work as a video response as most people block links/mark them as spam/delete the comments, and it doesn't show up as a "Video Response" on YT for people to see.