How to make a music channel more personal?

BoiledWaffle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
By music channel I mean channels like Trap Nation, Chilled Cow, etc. Channels that host other people's music (with permission/license of course) You've likely heard of these channels. When I watch them, they just feel soulless. They could make a bot to automatically search soundcloud for copyright-free music and host it, and I wouldn't know the difference. I want my channel to be more unique, and to have a personal touch. How should I go about doing so?

Reactions: HC.SameerPatil

Kevster

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Maybe you could do a podcast or a talk show? You could discuss the music you've posted, new releases, what's hot and what isn't, the state of the music industry in general. To add a more personal touch to that podcast, you could ask your viewers to post questions, things they'd like to hear your opinion on, etc.

Getting the message out your viewers could be tricky though. A lot of people usually just opens the video and switch to another tab. The only effective way you could get the message to your viewers that I could think of right now is through annotations that pops up at the very first second on your videos. Alternatively, you could make videos of your own that's exclusively for podcast-related stuff, where you can announce things and people can submit their questions/etc.

Another idea is to do weekly music reviews. You could post your reviews and/or reactions to new albums being released, and involve your viewers by asking them for suggestions on what to review next.

My last idea is to make your own charts. Personally, I love the style of the official weekly Billboard Top 10 videos. You'll definitely have to do some research to avoid copyright strikes, though. You can base the charts on whatever you like: personal taste/your own current favorites, the tracks getting the most views/engagement on your channel right now, viewer-voted chart (where they vote by commenting a song title, and the song with most votes/comments is #1) etc. The viewer-voted chart is my personal favorite for these Youtube charts, because not would it add a more personal touch to the channel, it would also help your channel by increasing the audience engagement!

I hope you find at least some of my suggestions to be useful.

P.s: I love your YouTube icon! It's adorable.

BoiledWaffle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Kevster

Thanks for the suggestions! I think a podcast would be good later once I've built up more of an audience, but I like the idea of reviews and top charts. And thanks for the comment about the icon!

Reactions: Kevster

HC.SameerPatil

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
By music channel I mean channels like Trap Nation, Chilled Cow, etc. Channels that host other people's music (with permission/license of course) You've likely heard of these channels. When I watch them, they just feel soulless. They could make a bot to automatically search soundcloud for copyright-free music and host it, and I wouldn't know the difference. I want my channel to be more unique, and to have a personal touch. How should I go about doing so?
I really like your intention so here is what I would do. I would look for artists who are on the come up and artists that you really jam to and send them DMs saying you really love their content and ask them if you could promote their music on your channel. Be really geniune with this because the music you will have on your channel is theirs so based off of what you said it sounds like you want to help out up and coming artists. So DM them and then at the start of each video for 1 minute you should talk about why you love the song and also give some information about the artist so the artist gets more recognition. put links to their soundcloud, youtube, blog etc. Be genuine, DM, make a quick review at the beginning of the video for 1 min and link their soundcloud, youtube, instagram etc. That would be my approach. Hope that helps, let me know your thoughts :)

BoiledWaffle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@HC.SameerPatil

That sound like a good idea for when I get more subs. As of right now, I don't think any artist will want exposure from me