How to make a decent game review

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know not many people does these but maybe this could be of some help in the future.

So first things first making these can be a hassle and REALLY overwhelming if you are not prepared.

First up is audio quality, if you are a college student with little to no money (like me)
there are things you can do so that your audio is still decent enough to not be a problem.

This is a simple guitar hero microphone.
They cost five dollars and the quality is not going to be TOP level stuff
but honestly, people really did not seem to notice.
In fact a lot of people were shocked to find out about how okay the microphone really sounded.

I now use a Blue Snowball Microphone but for the first six months of my channel this bad boy was my go to.

I also use audacity to do my recordings. Probably the best FREE tool around.

upload_2016-3-28_1-25-8.png

So if you are running really low on funds I would suggest this as your first microphone and to use audacity.

Next up is your script.
This can go either way if you are trying to be informational and or funny.
I have my scripts sectioned off into parts on my review.

upload_2016-3-28_1-27-30.png

Each line is when I stop recording and make that one part.
So as this is for my PS1 video.

upload_2016-3-28_1-29-18.png

Each line represents one part.
Hope that makes sense.

So now you need to record gameplay.
I use Action! to get recordings of older games.
It's a lot easier than plugging in my Dazzle and recording it off my system.

I got my version for 20 bucks and it's REALLY REALLY nice for low end computers.

I have an old laptop that can barely handle anything but I can record 720p with this with no slowdown.

Obviously if you have a higher end computer just using OBS will get the job done. but I can't even use it since my laptop is not compatible.
So I mean, this would be your best option if you have a bad set up.

NOW you have all of this done.
Time to make the video right?
Well, yeah!

but the biggest issue is what program to use?

you could find a free editing program online but it will never top the ones that cost the big bucks.

I hashed out a bit for my program but it was at a time where money was not an issue and I had previous work editing things for people.
So it seemed like an okay choice.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 can run you well around 500 dollars.
It's a lot but i've already made that back and then some with some of the jobs i've done thanks to the program.

NOTE: THERE ARE FREE TRIALS OF IT SO YOU CAN GIVE IT A SHOT.
500 DOLLARS IS A LOT OF MONEY

If you're JUST starting out on editing try Wondershare.

then just build up from there.

I wish there was a decent program that was cheap but there really is not any.

Sony Vegas is a bit cheaper so that might be a good alternative.
I have no experience with the program so I can't really say much on it though.

ANYWAYS NOW TO EDITING

I'm not going to give a full step by step on how to edit videos, but I will tell you some things to be prepared for.

1. YOU WILL NEVER BE 100% READY NO MATTER WHAT.
You will have the music you want, the images, the footage, and the audio ready to go
but you will always miss something.
When this happens I usually get flustered since it makes me stop editing and try and find what I need.

Don't get mad, it will effect your work. Trust me.

upload_2016-3-28_1-45-17.png

I had 87 items in one review which includes (Images, Music, Vocals, etc)
and I could count four times where I had to go back to re-record footage and or find something online.

2. THESE TAKE QUITE A BIT OF TIME
Non-Stop editing no breaks I can bump a review out in about a day.
but usually it takes me three days.
SO THESE SUCKERS CAN SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF YOU.

upload_2016-3-28_1-47-56.png

But it's always fun to see your product come to life.

AND FINALLY

3. Never be afraid to tinker with how you edit things.
You will always learn new tricks but if you stick to what you normally do you will never grow.
If your edits are always the same then people won't stick around.
BUT maybe there are edits you do that define your channel.
Tinker with those as well. Polish them. Don't make them rugged or stale next video.

VISUAL EDITS WILL ALWAYS BE UP THERE WITH AUDIO QUALITY AND SCRIPTING WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING A REVIEW OBVIOUSLY

That is where most of the time will be put into.

but yeah.

IF you have any questions about what to do or how to do things I can help as much as I can.

I will edit this further if I see fit, but for now I hope this was helpful in any way.

ggdeeofficial

EZ Game EZ Life
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
nice guide man! The script part really makes sense. would it work the other way around? like shoot the video first then put in the audio commentary?

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
nice guide man! The script part really makes sense. would it work the other way around? like shoot the video first then put in the audio commentary?

OH YEAH YOU CAN DO THAT AS WELL

that could also really help with getting some ideas since the game is fresh on your mind.

Reactions: ggdeeofficial

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I personally prefer to write the script and then record gameplay footage, so I'm sure what it needs to be captueed to go along with the voiceover

ClassicNerd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I enjoyed the guide. I wanted to add that if you are a student you can cut the price of Adobe Creative Cloud in half. I pay $20 a month for everything because I am a college student. It is really worth it because Creative Cloud has so many functions for video production. You get Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Story, Premiere Pro, Prelude and Speedgrade.

I don't quite understand sequencing the voice over like you do. I basically have one .wav for the entire voice over. I still section off things to provide a story in the video, but it's all recorded at once.

@ggdeeofficial recording the game footage then creating the script is a great idea. You may think a game sucks because everyone says it sucks, but when you play it you start finding things that are fun or cool about the game. You could then start up a script where you discuss the flaws but then slowly add in that, in your opinion, the game does have some redeeming factors. I reviewed Friday the 13th for NES and I ended up loving the game. It's a hard game, but I own the manual and if you have the manual it tells you how to beat the game, so as I was writing the script I kept saying stuff like, "if you do x then you can get y and that will solve this problem. The game is cryptic as hell, but with the manual, it starts to make sense. If you rented this game or borrowed it from a friend, then you were screwed. If you own the manual, then this game will be a breeze and you can enjoy yourself." I would echo what some people were saying about the game, but then adding in that little bit of "but if you have the manual" and just go on to convey my real opinions on the game.

Reactions: ggdeeofficial

TwoTakes

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well, yeah!

you could find a free editing program online but it will never top the ones that cost the big bucks.

I hashed out a bit for my program but it was at a time where money was not an issue and I had previous work editing things for people.

It's a lot but i've already made that back and then some with some of the jobs i've done thanks to the program.

I use an editing program called Lightworks which is free. It is a really powerful program that definitely competes with "the big boys".

In fact films such as: The Wolf of Wall Street, LA Confidential, Pulp Fiction, Heat, Road to Perdition, Hugo, The King’s Speech were all edited using Lightworks.

We have made all of our videos using Lightworks, and have not really found any problems with it. Its weird because it is not well known at all for some reason- I spent ages trying to find good free software and was basically despairing.

Sorry if that sounded like a massive advert but seriously, if you think you can't get good, free software you need to try it!

Beanie Boy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great guide! I'll definitely be keeping this in mind when planning my own reviews. :)

OzTalksHw

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Commentator, Reviewer
Very thorough. I enjoy how your script is very specific as well. Writing down EVERYTHING you will say definitely helps but some spontaneity isn't bad either.

Brainbean

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I make my product reviews in a similar fashion. My work flow is something like this.

Research product
Film product A and B reel
Write script
Record Voice over
Edit footage to compliment voice over
Edit in any effects, etc...
Add my intro and ending screen

make thumbnail
upload

I find that recording the voice over of the script first and then editing the video to the audio is much easier than trying to fit your script to a video. I don't have to rush what I am talking about or try to fir 15 seconds of video time trying to talk about a certain point that should only take a sentence or two.

SlickBlasian

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I know not many people does these but maybe this could be of some help in the future.

So first things first making these can be a hassle and REALLY overwhelming if you are not prepared.

First up is audio quality, if you are a college student with little to no money (like me)
there are things you can do so that your audio is still decent enough to not be a problem.

This is a simple guitar hero microphone.
They cost five dollars and the quality is not going to be TOP level stuff
but honestly, people really did not seem to notice.
In fact a lot of people were shocked to find out about how okay the microphone really sounded.

I now use a Blue Snowball Microphone but for the first six months of my channel this bad boy was my go to.

I also use audacity to do my recordings. Probably the best FREE tool around.

View attachment 34814

So if you are running really low on funds I would suggest this as your first microphone and to use audacity.

Next up is your script.
This can go either way if you are trying to be informational and or funny.
I have my scripts sectioned off into parts on my review.

View attachment 34815

Each line is when I stop recording and make that one part.
So as this is for my PS1 video.

View attachment 34816

Each line represents one part.
Hope that makes sense.

So now you need to record gameplay.
I use Action! to get recordings of older games.
It's a lot easier than plugging in my Dazzle and recording it off my system.

I got my version for 20 bucks and it's REALLY REALLY nice for low end computers.

I have an old laptop that can barely handle anything but I can record 720p with this with no slowdown.

Obviously if you have a higher end computer just using OBS will get the job done. but I can't even use it since my laptop is not compatible.
So I mean, this would be your best option if you have a bad set up.

Well, yeah!

Sony Vegas is a bit cheaper so that might be a good alternative.
I have no experience with the program so I can't really say much on it though.

ANYWAYS NOW TO EDITING

I'm not going to give a full step by step on how to edit videos, but I will tell you some things to be prepared for.

1. YOU WILL NEVER BE 100% READY NO MATTER WHAT.
You will have the music you want, the images, the footage, and the audio ready to go
but you will always miss something.
When this happens I usually get flustered since it makes me stop editing and try and find what I need.

Don't get mad, it will effect your work. Trust me.

View attachment 34817

I had 87 items in one review which includes (Images, Music, Vocals, etc)
and I could count four times where I had to go back to re-record footage and or find something online.

2. THESE TAKE QUITE A BIT OF TIME
Non-Stop editing no breaks I can bump a review out in about a day.
but usually it takes me three days.
SO THESE SUCKERS CAN SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF YOU.

View attachment 34818

But it's always fun to see your product come to life.

AND FINALLY

3. Never be afraid to tinker with how you edit things.
You will always learn new tricks but if you stick to what you normally do you will never grow.
If your edits are always the same then people won't stick around.
BUT maybe there are edits you do that define your channel.
Tinker with those as well. Polish them. Don't make them rugged or stale next video.

VISUAL EDITS WILL ALWAYS BE UP THERE WITH AUDIO QUALITY AND SCRIPTING WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING A REVIEW OBVIOUSLY

That is where most of the time will be put into.

but yeah.

IF you have any questions about what to do or how to do things I can help as much as I can.

I will edit this further if I see fit, but for now I hope this was helpful in any way.
For scripts I like to add bulletins of the main topic of what I'm going to talk about. I record in one go and will edit the audio down from 10 minutes to 5 if there are long pauses. Great guide!