How to Know When to Quit?

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't know anything about what makes a good gamer commentator but just based on how long you've been on Youtube and the amount of views, I think you're doing pretty well honestly. Are you Pewdie yet? Of course not but most things do not happen overnight.

To answer your original question, if you're completely miserable doing it, then yes I would stop or at least take a break but keep the channel up. Don't delete it unless you're doing a completely new channel.

Also, having some other small hobbies might keep you a bit more balanced.

Dalindcy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just because you're not growing amazingly fast doesn't mean that people don't like it. YouTube is a fickle place, and the algorithm changes constantly.

You might not get a ton of views, but that doesn't mean you're doing it for nothing. A handful of people probably does enjoy your videos and you're bringing a smile on their faces. And maybe YouTube has helped you in different ways. Has it given you a purpose? Has it made you more confident in your public speaking abilities or voicing your opinion? All those things can be a source of motivation for you.

Reactions: Keyser Reveal

Keyser Reveal

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If "you" enjoy it why quit. You have hundreds of people that watch your videos, some haven't reached that yet. Many would be glad to be where you are. The irony of that statement is..there are main 2 reasons why we fail. 1 - we compare ourselves to others.. 2- we don't remain consistent with what it is we want to achieve...we become easily discouraged by numbers and timelines. There is no timeline for success...and success isn't always quantitative. I'm not saying you shouldn't have goals but no one will hit the mark every time. Sure others may be further along in a shorter time...but go back to reason 1. However if you are going to compare..do a fair comparison from both sides. I'm sure that there are others who have been doing it just as long as you if not longer and are not as far along as you. Remain encouraged. I think you're doing fine. Good luck

Reactions: Dalindcy

Cherry Tung

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I experienced that with my startup. My opinion is, if you feel like that for more than a week- give yourself a break. It's not healthy for your mental state or even creativity to continue pushing yourself in doing something that stresses you out. There's nothing wrong with taking a break when you need it. If your creativity and motivation come back, you can always start uploading again.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I can't comment directly but the simple answer is "when you know, you know" if you're asking yourself about it, then it may be time to pause, reflect, reassess and maybe pull the plug.

But it's not my advice for anyone to quit because I don't know why anyone started or what their goals are. Perhaps creating different goals or taking a time out every few months to decide what's next should come first

Reactions: PictureFIT

KYCnick

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you've been at it for over a year and non of your videos of even over 100.
Time to re-think things.

Reactions: Gaijillionaire

BanterDays

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you are getting down on yourself and not enjoying it then maybe you do need to quit as that will be effecting the rest of your life.

But I don't think your channel isn't doing that bad. Like maybe you need to find more variety, creating something new or add something extra into it. If you do still enjoy making the videos maybe all you need to do is find something to change and see how an audience reacts. If you keep doing the same thing, getting the same results its just going to stay like that. Throw a curveball at them as you never know what will happen then. But good luck and hope you keep going strong buddy!!