How to keep videos short?

CharType

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I run a gaming channel and I try to keep my videos under 12 minutes, as per what I personally would look for in a gaming channel and per the advice I've heard on keeping video short. However, I find it difficult to stick to this because after I've recorded a video I'll come to a point where there's nothing else I think I can cut out. I don't like to cut out parts where I'm showing a new part of the gameplay, I don't like to cut out parts where something particularly funny or interesting is happening, and I don't like to cut out parts where I'm providing commentary. The parts I do cut out are typically gameplay that's nothing really new and parts where I say stuff that I don't think anyone would possibly find interesting.

So, how can I make my videos shorter? I would appreciate either general advice and/or advice for me specifically. Is there something else I can and should be cutting out? Is there something I should be doing differently while recording? Or do you think my video length is fine as it is and I shouldn't cut out anything else?

Thanks.

Hazzador

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
To be honest, longer videos are better to have nowadays. They will probably give you more watch time whihc is very valubale on youtube nowadts, so I would recommend sticking to longer videos. I would say stick to 10+ minute videos

Reactions: DougieBoy

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
In my opinion you should stick to your longer videos. You already know which parts are really important and not. So stick to it. Gameplay videos nowadays are usually longer. So its ok.

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I know everyone is saying stick to longer videos but I've had better luck with shorter videos. Not sure if it's just one of those things that's different for everyone but I either speed up the video, but make sure it doesn't seem too fast, or I do like a highlights video and just cut out the best parts. Best of luck!

Entityofsin

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know everyone is saying stick to longer videos but I've had better luck with shorter videos. Not sure if it's just one of those things that's different for everyone but I either speed up the video, but make sure it doesn't seem too fast, or I do like a highlights video and just cut out the best parts. Best of luck!
The reason people say longer videos is because of how YouTube is looking for more watched minutes per video to self-promote it in the system and place it higher in search results. So if someone's 10 minute video is getting 5 minutes of watched time but your 3 minute video is getting 3 minutes of watched time but both videos are competiting in YouTube's system, the longer video will win 100% of the time. You would literately need to get twice as many 3 minute views as the 5 minute video in order to straight up beat it. That's not as easy as it sounds either.

Now days, I'd shoot for a minimum of 10 minutes with an average of around 12. No more than that for normal content. If it's gaming content, I'd do around 15 minute Let's Play episodes at no longer than 20. I have other reasons for this as well though but that's for another thread topic.

Besides, longer videos give you more video real-estate to work with in building out each piece of content. The shorter the video, the more valuable each of those seconds are when doing editing.

Reactions: DougieBoy

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
This is just me and my opinion, but if I see a video is longer than 10 minutes, I clickaway instantly. It really depends on the content, but honestly, unless its a vlog or a tutorial, and a very very interesting ones, I dont bother watching anything longer than 4-5 minutes. I dont have time for that, I usualy go through youtube for some instant fun, and 10 minutes is too long.
Just my 2 cents.

DougieBoy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Longer videos are good for YouTube because that's what they want, but sometimes short videos will do just fine. I'd say do some long and some short and see what works best for your channel and your viewers.

If you are having trouble cutting down a video, try cutting it in half and having 2 separate videos instead of one larger one. If that doesn't work, record less at at time which will force you to have shorter videos. :) Multiple ways to work with this, but everything depends on what you want to do as a creator.

ZipZap Music

Reaction score
Alot of people are saying longer videos are better but it just depends on what videos you are making. If its game play then it can be okay just make sure you aren't rambling on and always try to get to the point when talking about informational things. If the video comes out long then that can be okay. The loyal fans will watch the whole thing.

XXXL Gamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was advised also to give shorter videos, one problem I have is that my 2 recent videos both 17-19 mins long but as they are the begining of the game, not much has happened. I feel with games that are all action from the start this will bring people in but games that are slow starting (base building etc) will struggle to keep people.

DougieBoy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I was advised also to give shorter videos, one problem I have is that my 2 recent videos both 17-19 mins long but as they are the begining of the game, not much has happened. I feel with games that are all action from the start this will bring people in but games that are slow starting (base building etc) will struggle to keep people.
Well in those cases then, if there isn't much of a story at the beginning, then cut it out, otherwise, you'll just have to keep the longer video in that case. No real way around a long good story at the beginning of a game that must be told in order to understand the game itself.