How To Improve the Audio Quality of Your Videos

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am doing it similarly then, I never lower my foreground nor raise it, the foreground always remains at 0db for me, I am unsure if you are meant to lower it at all, I certainly wouldnt raise it :D What I tend to do is render it off as a wav once edited and then import that into Audacity and then normalize and apply a few other effects to it and the reimport back into vegas, add the music, make sure the music is set to at the very least -17 usually though it is around -18 to -22 depending on the music. I likely need to learn to read the db meters :D

Samantha Brown

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
:) No I wouldn't raise it. Yes it seems we are pretty much doing the same thing. Since I have different audio sources and I put them on top of eachother, I always need to readjust my foreground and background sounds to the levels I spoke of. I guess it depends on what kinds of vids you are making.

What kinds of effects do you add in audacity?

Reactions: Michael

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
:) No I wouldn't raise it. Yes it seems we are pretty much doing the same thing. Since I have different audio sources and I put them on top of eachother, I always need to readjust my foreground and background sounds to the levels I spoke of. I guess it depends on what kinds of vids you are making.

What kinds of effects do you add in audacity?
I tend to repeat the same, I normalize it first, add a compressor, equalise using the presets, hard limit and then normalize again :D I dont always use noise removal although I should. I really want to get a decent debreathing program too but noise gate can work okay with that.

Samantha Brown

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I tend to repeat the same, I normalize it first, add a compressor, equalise using the presets, hard limit and then normalize again :D I dont always use noise removal although I should. I really want to get a decent debreathing program too but noise gate can work okay with that.
Good advice. I'll look into that. I usually only remove the noise as anything else wont be noticable with all the other sounds and music i mix into my vids. But I know I should spend a little more time improving the quality of the speech. I'd definitely look into what you're talking about. Thanks so much for the tip :)

Reactions: Michael

Megamindez

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks a lot for the info! Great work!

kluless

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Thanks for the info! I have a question, though--it was mentioned that a smartphone can have a mic attached to record audio. I have never thought of that before, and I was wondering, how exactly would you do that? Do you just plug a mic in to the headphone jack of your smartphone and use recording software? Is there some sort of configuration that you need to do so that the smartphone will record audio from the mic instead of its built-in speakers? I'd hate to have a smartphone hanging in the camera shot.

Boredom Killers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Clapping at the start of a video to help with syncing the audio? great advice!!

magnamious

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter
If you use external recording for audio and you have many shots in your sequence, you may want to look into software to automatically sync the audio to the video. I've recently tried PluralEyes and it's fantastic - definitely saves a large amount of time.
Oh I need this! My most recent video I spend more time syncing the audio than actually editing it! Is it free?[DOUBLEPOST=1465773957,1465773852][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for the info! I have a question, though--it was mentioned that a smartphone can have a mic attached to record audio. I have never thought of that before, and I was wondering, how exactly would you do that? Do you just plug a mic in to the headphone jack of your smartphone and use recording software? Is there some sort of configuration that you need to do so that the smartphone will record audio from the mic instead of its built-in speakers? I'd hate to have a smartphone hanging in the camera shot.
Since I have an iPhone, I use voice memos. I start it at around the same time as I start the video and I clap in the beginning so it's easier to sync when I'm editing it. I just place it on my tripod, out of sight

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for the info! I think I will have to get Audacity.
I have a question about it, when I'm driving in my car I get lots of background noise.
This is a mixture of tyre/road noise, wind noise and engine noise. I have tried a lapel and recording through iPhone but its still there.

Do you think Audacity would help remove this?