How to improve a low performing video?

Zach Werre

What are your tips for trying to gain more views on a video that hasn't been getting that many? I know the biggest thing is just to make better videos but you can do for the ones currently on your channel?

What are your tips for trying to gain more views on a video that hasn't been getting that many? I know the biggest thing is just to make better videos but you can do for the ones currently on your channel?

This could be really bad in the long run.... but you could set that underperforming video as your channel trailer. In that way any newcomers will watch that video immediately

You could also put all your efforts in promoting that one video - posting it up to as many places as possible

Also ask people you know to share (friends and family). Even if they dont watch it themselves, ask if you could get a shout out from them on fb or something

It can be difficult to boost viewership on an older video but I would recommend using services like tubebuddy and vidiQ to fix the SEO on your old videos. Seeing what tags are performing versus ones that aren't is very helpful. VidiQ is probably a bit more in depth, helping you with tags in your title and description as well. Another tip would be changing your thumbnails around if they aren't eye catching.

If the video is old, and I'm talking 6+ months and currently getting little to no views, but you think the video did and still has potential, you could try re-uploading it with a new title, new thumbnail, maybe a slightly new edit etc...I've had great success with this.

If want to keep the current upload then it's a case of changing the current elements (thumbnail, tags, title etc..) and see if that gets it recommended more places, but I've found that this never really works.

Disagree with re-uploading. Disagree with setting as channel trailer.

All you should do is mess with the titles, tags, and thumbnails. Remember, just because YOU think it's a good video doesn't mean that viewers will like it as well. I've made plenty of videos that I expected way more views but it simply didn't do well. I adjust the tags, titles, and thumbnails and it does somewhat better. Expecting a re-upload to do any better doesn't make much sense. People's sentiments won't change just because you show them the video a second time. Same goes for channel trailer. Force feeding them the video isn't going to do you any good. If anything, it can be off-putting.

Disagree with re-uploading.

I don't think this should be discounted - I've had some great success with this recently.

I uploaded content 6 months ago when I was a lot smaller which died and has been dormant for ages, getting a handful of views a week (under 10). However, I now have a MUCH wider reach, my average video views are 10x what they were 6 months ago, and my SEO and thumbnail skills are much, much better.

So recently I looked at my old content and thought, damn I wish I had that now as I'm certain it would do much better. I decided to try it on one video - reuploading it with my rebranded intro, watermark etc.. but essentially the same content. New SEO and new thumbnail and BAM, it's done 10x better, with no one complaining 'we've seen this before'.

Now somethings to note (common sense really):

1) My channel is random and my content is 'ageless' if you will, I don't think it would work if there's a logical progression to your content, or your content easily becomes dated.
2) The content has to be dead, obviously don't mess with a video that still does well.

I don't think this should be discounted - I've had some great success with this recently.

I uploaded content 6 months ago when I was a lot smaller which died and has been dormant for ages, getting a handful of views a week (under 10). However, I now have a MUCH wider reach, my average video views are 10x what they were 6 months ago, and my SEO and thumbnail skills are much, much better.

So recently I looked at my old content and thought, damn I wish I had that now as I'm certain it would do much better. I decided to try it on one video - reuploading it with my rebranded intro, watermark etc.. but essentially the same content. New SEO and new thumbnail and BAM, it's done 10x better, with no one complaining 'we've seen this before'.

Now somethings to note (common sense really):

1) My channel is random and my content is 'ageless' if you will, I don't think it would work if there's a logical progression to your content, or your content easily becomes dated.
2) The content has to be dead, obviously don't mess with a video that still does well.

Then the issue wasn't that the video was low performing. The issue was that your reach overall was smaller back then. However, if you have a video that was released a week ago and performed lower than videos being released today, then that's a low-performing video. I do this as well. But instead of re-uploading, I just create a refreshed version.

But yea, big difference between "low performing" video and video published with low reach.

Back