How to grow a small YouTube Channel! (Must Read)

Unreal Divine

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
What's up guys I am a Small YouTuber and I recently got serious in YouTube. I have a guide how to gain subscribers and just to generally grow your channel. This has helped me a lot has I have gained 60+ Subs in just 2 weeks. This guide has no order but I just wanted to give you guys some tips to help improve your channel.

* Short Simple and Interesting Videos
- Until you get a good subscriber base you don't want to make really long videos like let's plays. I've noticed when I did that on my channel I don't get many views or comments. Unless it's a tutorial or a guide because people have no choice but to watch the entire thing.

* Networking - Once you reach a certain amount of subscribers you can sign up to a Network. I would advise YouTube or Google Networks for small You Tubers.

* Quality over Quantity - Make sure you guys videos are as professional and entertaining as possible. Don't make a billion of videos if they are really bad.

* Collab - Try to Collab with a similar YouTuber, that way your subscribers and supports find his channel and same goes your way. It's a really good way to increase the number of videos you have as you guys can literally post the same video but in your prospective. Gives it a new look on things. Try to experiment with this one as everyone won't be perfect to collab with. Also choose someone who has the same amount of subscribers as you.

* Be active - Try to make really good content but try to make the videos as much as possible. You don't want have one video that has like 100k+ views then a month later make another video (like a Vlog or something). The people that watched your video have lost interested in you and moved on.

* Entertaining videos - Really think about how you guys can entertain other people. What I like to do is just think about what makes me laugh or what holds my attention. But remember it's what the viewers want over what you want for a while.

* Improve - Always try to improve your channel, You want to have an Intro, Outro and a banner. The more professional you look the more people are attracted to your channel. An Outro is really important as when you have a really successful video they can just click straight to another video and end up binge watching your channel. An Intro is important too but not as much as an Outro.

* Thumbnails - Thumbnails should be it's own topic. Thumbnails are what attract people to your video. If you have a boring picture and it's a black background with just some simple text then no one will click on it. I'm sorry the phrase "Don't Judge a book by its cover is complete b******t on YouTube." I even will sometimes not click on a video because of it's thumbnail. If it's bad then it means they didn't even take 5 mins to make a really good thumbnail. So the video probably will be just as bad.

"Don't make videos you want people to watch. Make videos that people want to watch!"

Alright guys I'm out. I hope this helped some of the small YouTube channels out their and I hope you took the time to read and try to better your channel. I'm not promoting myself but you can check out my channel for examples of everything here.

22.png

Last edited:

Cameron Dubs

Making David Cameron Sing!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow, a great guide! :D

Another thing I'd really recommend to users who are reading this, would be to make sure that they utilise their Social Media to the full potential! The best one for YouTube (well, I'd argue this anyway) is probably Twitter, although Facebook is really handy, as well as other ones such as Instagram and Snapchat.

When new channels use social media, don't beg for views or likes about 10 times a day. Remember that your followers are most likely already fans of your channel, and therefore don't need a constant reminder of them. Make the tweets catchy, so that you encourage shares/retweets which will automatically reach out to many more people. A small competition could be useful (e.g. retweet for the chance to win a shoutout in our next video) - you'll be surprised how many people that draws in!

A great thing about twitter too is you can reach out to fans of other similar channels (just make sure you don't go full spamming on this one!). I'll use our channel as an example.

We make David Cameron (UK Prime Minister) sing songs by editing clips - and two other fairly popular channels that do this are BaracksDubs and Cassetteboy. What we do is occasionally search these keywords, and favourite tweets to draw attention, as these are the sorts of people who are interested in our types of videos. Like I say, don't go full spamming on this as you will not only be annoying many users who will be put off from the channel, but also face a suspension from Twitter

Hope I've been able to provide an addition to this already amazing guide :D

Dazb4t

Trainee You Tube Extrodinaire.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Reviewer, Other
I'm not having much success on twitter right now if im honest, I get follows of a lot of fellow youtubers who just ask me to subscribe, and wont even look at my videos or return the messages I send them what am I doing wrong????

Unreal Divine

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm not 100% sure for twitter. I have made a twitter for my channel but I haven't done any promotion on it. As i really don't know how to. But when people say things like that, they really don't care about your content. They just want people to come check their channel, Even if it takes 1 follow. So the best course is to just ignore those people and try to gain honest followers.

Dazb4t

Trainee You Tube Extrodinaire.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Reviewer, Other
I'm not 100% sure for twitter. I have made a twitter for my channel but I haven't done any promotion on it. As i really don't know how to. But when people say things like that, they really don't care about your content. They just want people to come check their channel, Even if it takes 1 follow. So the best course is to just ignore those people and try to gain honest followers.
Absolutely agree with what you say here. Regarding Twitter my advice is learn it and get to know it, only because there are people who use twitter that hate other social media sites. Its not really that hard once you get the hang of it, like you tube regularly update tweet your vids, use hashtags and the followers will come. I have jumped fifty followers in three days. Hope this helps :)

PeteInfinite

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
* Improve - Always try to improve your channel, You want to have an Intro, Outro and a banner. The more professional you look the more people are attracted to your channel. An Outro is really important as when you have a really successful video they can just click straight to another video and end up binge watching your channel. An Intro is important too but not as much as an Outro.
I don't agree with having an intro, at least not when you start off. I myself haven't begun uploading but I have a lot of stuff cooking up and some of the feedback I received (from people close to me) is that having my "intro" be me outro for now works even better, you still get the branding aspect of it and you don't interfere with the viewing experience, so people don't tend to close the video early. After a while when you get a solid viewing every video, having a short intro (like very short) can do the trick to establish your branding even more, but make sure you have a hook first, I think that works best. Of course if you have millions of subscribers some rules don't even apply anymore, so you can have long intros and bad titles and you will still get your views one way or another...

I'm not having much success on twitter right now if im honest, I get follows of a lot of fellow youtubers who just ask me to subscribe, and wont even look at my videos or return the messages I send them what am I doing wrong????
The people you are referring to are what I call "follow 4 follow" kind of people. I typically avoid those and delete their messages right away, and unfollow them. I seem to be able to attract followers by tweeting regularly by using some of the trending topics if I have anything worthy to say about it, or just simply tweeting about stuff that I'm gonna be doing regarding my soon to be Youtube channel. Also, I have written like 2 private messages so far at most, I prefer favoriting quality tweets and responding to tweets. It puts you out there without being spammy. That's my 2 cents on it!

TheTippler3848

Football and gaming is life
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Really good advice, I think I am falling foul of the video length just now, but sometimes you have a lot to show haha. WIll be taking this on. But just to add a little to this, I get the "Hey great video, come check out my channel" nonsense a lot on Youtube comments too. Guess any comment is better than none!!

Unreal Divine

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great advise! Thank you :)
Thanks Appreciate it. But usually for those type of comments i just ignore them or reply saying sure I will check out your channel. Some people don't know how to self promote so they send those types of comments.

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks Appreciate it. But usually for those type of comments i just ignore them or reply saying sure I will check out your channel. Some people don't know how to self promote so they send those types of comments.
You cant really knock their hussle, hell if 1 out of every 10 messages they send gets someone to check out their channel then good on them