How to grow a channel in a niche that already has some great channels?

Visionauts89

Reaction score
Every single niche and topic has great channels already, so this is pretty much asking "How to grow a Youtube channel?"

But that doesn't mean it can't be done. You shouldn't be afraid of competition. But here is my tip. Don't think you have to somehow overtake the existing BIG channels. They started years ago, you'll never catch them. Nobody will ever catch them up. You are competing with the channels that started at the same time as you. Are you better than them? They are the ones you need to beat and be different from. If you can't beat them, then the task is pretty much impossible.
Yes in that sense I think you're right. Thanks for the feedback! :)[DOUBLEPOST=1520769882,1520769712][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just do it your way. Everyone has a different personality, different sense of humor and a different way of doing things. Even if it's a niche used by other 'bigger' channels, as long as you do it your way, it'll be different enough to stand out on its own. Just go for it.
Thanks for the reaction. You're right about the personality thing. Just being who you are will attract interaction.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Here's another reason not to be afraid of competition. If there are huge channels in a niche that get literally millions of views within a few days, what does that tell you? It tells you that there is HUGE demand for videos. There are literally millions of active viewers out there looking for content. The thing then is work out your strengths and weaknesses compared to that huge channel. What could you do better than they don't do? Is there niche within a niche that they haven't made videos about? The key is to try to compete indirectly.

Look at McDonalds restaurants. Go to London or any big city. There are McDonalds literally every 500 metres or so. They aren't afraid of competing with each other because they know there is huge demand. In my city, there is a McDonalds right in the centre of the city on the main square. It's very popular. Then a franchisee decided to open another McDonalds 500 metres away. He wasn't afraid of the competition of the other one. Why? Well the location of the new one is opposite a train station. So even though they are 500m apart, they are targeting very different customers. The one opposite the train station will have people in there waiting for a train and who probably would never usually visit McDonalds. They're there by pure convenience not necessarily by choice of the food. And they offer extra services like screens showing the train times so they have actually found a niche within the niche. Both restaurants are still jam packed and continue to thrive.

Reactions: Emerrias

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah. It's like, choose a movie, any movie. Even if it's been reviewed before. If you had 10 different people review the same movie, without seeing how the other person would do it, they'd each do it completely different. Some might use jokes, some might throw in skits, some might dress up like and quote a character in the movie, some might completely deconstruct the themes and inner workings behind the movie, and some will cut all that out and just get straight to their thoughts. These 10 people would have reviewed the same movie, each in their own style... and there is an audience for each of those styles.

Emerrias

Reaction score
Here's another reason not to be afraid of competition. If there are huge channels in a niche that get literally millions of views within a few days, what does that tell you? It tells you that there is HUGE demand for videos. There are literally millions of active viewers out there looking for content. The thing then is work out your strengths and weaknesses compared to that huge channel. What could you do better than they don't do? Is there niche within a niche that they haven't made videos about? The key is to try to compete indirectly.

Look at McDonalds restaurants. Go to London or any big city. There are McDonalds literally every 500 metres or so. They aren't afraid of competing with each other because they know there is huge demand. In my city, there is a McDonalds right in the centre of the city on the main square. It's very popular. Then a franchisee decided to open another McDonalds 500 metres away. He wasn't afraid of the competition of the other one. Why? Well the location of the new one is opposite a train station. So even though they are 500m apart, they are targeting very different customers. The one opposite the train station will have people in there waiting for a train and who probably would never usually visit McDonalds. They're there by pure convenience not necessarily by choice of the food. And they offer extra services like screens showing the train times so they have actually found a niche within the niche. Both restaurants are still jam packed and continue to thrive.
Niche within a niche, nice! I will take it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Emerrias

Reaction score
Yeah. It's like, choose a movie, any movie. Even if it's been reviewed before. If you had 10 different people review the same movie, without seeing how the other person would do it, they'd each do it completely different. Some might use jokes, some might throw in skits, some might dress up like and quote a character in the movie, some might completely deconstruct the themes and inner workings behind the movie, and some will cut all that out and just get straight to their thoughts. These 10 people would have reviewed the same movie, each in their own style... and there is an audience for each of those styles.
It's the same thing like starting a business as an entreperneur, your product should be cheaper, smarter, faster and with your own unique twist!

Reactions: Crown

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If I am right you are familiar with Illustrator Photoshop etc.

Here is a short story, I was searching a tutorial for After Effects,
how to make text revealed like handwrited or so.
I found a small channel that offered a full tutorial for (even better)
revealing text and (kind of) drawing an image same way.

I was really excited,
I went to search all the other videos they had.
zip.
Nothing really interested me...
but I was so grateful for the specific tutorial that
I subscribed and check any time that upolads.

Watching the tutorial over and over again,
I realised that the channel offered and free audio tracks.
What a useful channel!

oh! let's write that again...

"What a useful channel"

:) ;)

Last edited:

Kwantabile

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I'd say that watching videos from other people in your niche and leaving sincere comments about the video you just watched is one way to do it (but only post genuine comments. If you're not inspired, just don't do it, because it looks obvious).

But more importantly, I think that if you want to be noticed and/or be successful, you might want to reinvent the niche you're in. Make it yours and bring your vision to the world. You have to bring something new, something fresh to the table, while enjoying yourself obviously.

Emerrias

Reaction score
I'd say that watching videos from other people in your niche and leaving sincere comments about the video you just watched is one way to do it (but only post genuine comments. If you're not inspired, just don't do it, because it looks obvious).

But more importantly, I think that if you want to be noticed and/or be successful, you might want to reinvent the niche you're in. Make it yours and bring your vision to the world. You have to bring something new, something fresh to the table, while enjoying yourself obviously.
Agree with this 100%!

Reactions: Kwantabile