How to Get Your Channel to 100 Subs!

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, just finished part two in my series on how to grow your channel. Thought I would share the video and writeup here since there seems to be a lot of "why is my channel not growing?" posts here.
This is not the be-all end-all, but it is how I went from 0-2300 in only a couple months.

Here is the video if you want to listen to the tips rather than read them all. Also helps to see some of my examples and visual aides.

Alright, so assuming you already followed my advice from the first video, you have your equipment, your branding, and you have refined yourself as a jack-of-all-trades.

So whats next?

I suggested that you save some money if you can. All you need is about $16.
This isn't required, but create a channel trailer (30sec-1min) and then go to your video manager, click promote. Set up a video campaign of a couple weeks, at the minimum value. If you have less than 100 subs, this should at least double your growth, and possibly do more since Google often over-serves the ads. (I paid for approximately 200 views a day, and got 7000 one day. I should note that this level of over-serve isn't typical, but over-serving at some level is common. This will kickstart your growth and allow you to save months of growing at 1-5 subs a day. If you plan on making this a business, any dollars spent early on advertising will pay off big in time saved.

Next, make sure you are continuing to respond to EVERY comment on your videos. Even with the new G+ comments, keep replying. Keep being active on twitter, gaining followers through interaction not follow chains. These are potential eyes on your videos.

Avoid giveaways. They bring subs and views short term, but give a false sense of growth. Spend the money you had for your giveaway prize for software, equipment, or ads.

Network! Find Youtubers of a similar size, in the same genre, and interact with them. Maybe collaborate on content, shout each other out, and put each other in the recommended channels box. To find a channel of similar size, go to one of your videos, look at the recommended videos on the right. Find one that has similar content, and is about the same size as you. Message them and see how you can work together.

DO NOT worry about joining a network yet. They do not help you grow, even as much as they may promise it. Just focus on your own content for now.

Lastly, focus on SEARCHABLE content not SUBSCRIBER content. I consider searchable content something that you can rank for in the search results, and is searched by people. Subscriber content is something that people will only be able to find through your social media/subscribers.
Examples:
How to import textures in photoshop- Searchable
Minecraft Lets Play Episode #23 L337 Castle!-Subscriber

Even though people may search "minecraft lets play" you are a small channel, and are unlikely to rank for it. Select topics that are appropriate for your size. As you grow, you can try to rank for more ambitious topics. The smaller you are, the more specific (and often obscure) topics you will need to try to rank for. This is a tricky line to walk, but when you figure it out, it will be obvious. When I was at 100 subs, my "How to Make a Borderlands Psycho Mask" video got 3000 views. That was specific enough that I was ranked front page. You need to find similar gateway videos in your topic area. These are where you will get most of your growth and new viewers.

Let me know what you think, and any questions or additional advice. Hope it has helped you some![DOUBLEPOST=1384564868,1384564648][/DOUBLEPOST]Just realized this perhaps belongs more in the tutorials than this section. Would a mod be willing to move it?

Last edited:

cmcollection

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Reviewer
Great tips! I want my channel to grown organically on its own before spending money on it though. Networking is definitely big for growing your channel.

Reactions: Trendshaul

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Great tips! I want my channel to grown organically on its own before spending money on it though. Networking is definitely big for growing your channel.
Letting it grow organically is certainly an option, . But spending money will jump you ahead, and make YouTube more fun since you don't have to struggle as much for views. If you plan on advertising on your channel and making money on YouTube, $20 now will pay dividends later.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Thrashbat

Thrashimation's Favorite Bat!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Comedian, Animator
These are very nice tips for sure. I think you're right. I need to be doing more interaction on certain platforms with my audience. My content is great by all accounts (so far!), but I don't have the conversations or activity I'd like to see. Hopefully the introduction of our comedic music will break the ice.

Gamevolution657

I've Got It
Reaction score
Letting it grow organically is certainly an option, . But spending money will jump you ahead, and make YouTube more fun since you don't have to struggle as much for views. If you plan on advertising on your channel and making money on YouTube, $20 now will pay dividends later.

Glad you enjoyed it!
Well we spent a bit of money on branding for our channel so I guess a little more on promoting wouldnt hurt, need to do a intro trailer first really, great tips well done!

oasis gamer

OasisGaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys, just finished part two in my series on how to grow your channel. Thought I would share the video and writeup here since there seems to be a lot of "why is my channel not growing?" posts here.
This is not the be-all end-all, but it is how I went from 0-2300 in only a couple months.

Here is the video if you want to listen to the tips rather than read them all. Also helps to see some of my examples and visual aides.

Alright, so assuming you already followed my advice from the first video, you have your equipment, your branding, and you have refined yourself as a jack-of-all-trades.

So whats next?

I suggested that you save some money if you can. All you need is about $16.
This isn't required, but create a channel trailer (30sec-1min) and then go to your video manager, click promote. Set up a video campaign of a couple weeks, at the minimum value. If you have less than 100 subs, this should at least double your growth, and possibly do more since Google often over-serves the ads. (I paid for approximately 200 views a day, and got 7000 one day. I should note that this level of over-serve isn't typical, but over-serving at some level is common. This will kickstart your growth and allow you to save months of growing at 1-5 subs a day. If you plan on making this a business, any dollars spent early on advertising will pay off big in time saved.

Next, make sure you are continuing to respond to EVERY comment on your videos. Even with the new G+ comments, keep replying. Keep being active on twitter, gaining followers through interaction not follow chains. These are potential eyes on your videos.

Avoid giveaways. They bring subs and views short term, but give a false sense of growth. Spend the money you had for your giveaway prize for software, equipment, or ads.

Network! Find Youtubers of a similar size, in the same genre, and interact with them. Maybe collaborate on content, shout each other out, and put each other in the recommended channels box. To find a channel of similar size, go to one of your videos, look at the recommended videos on the right. Find one that has similar content, and is about the same size as you. Message them and see how you can work together.

DO NOT worry about joining a network yet. They do not help you grow, even as much as they may promise it. Just focus on your own content for now.

Lastly, focus on SEARCHABLE content not SUBSCRIBER content. I consider searchable content something that you can rank for in the search results, and is searched by people. Subscriber content is something that people will only be able to find through your social media/subscribers.
Examples:
How to import textures in photoshop- Searchable
Minecraft Lets Play Episode #23 L337 Castle!-Subscriber

Even though people may search "minecraft lets play" you are a small channel, and are unlikely to rank for it. Select topics that are appropriate for your size. As you grow, you can try to rank for more ambitious topics. The smaller you are, the more specific (and often obscure) topics you will need to try to rank for. This is a tricky line to walk, but when you figure it out, it will be obvious. When I was at 100 subs, my "How to Make a Borderlands Psycho Mask" video got 3000 views. That was specific enough that I was ranked front page. You need to find similar gateway videos in your topic area. These are where you will get most of your growth and new viewers.

Let me know what you think, and any questions or additional advice. Hope it has helped you some![DOUBLEPOST=1384564868,1384564648][/DOUBLEPOST]Just realized this perhaps belongs more in the tutorials than this section. Would a mod be willing to move it?
Thanks man really helpd :)

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good to see this is helping you guys. I get the impression generally in the community that people see promoted videos as being kind of cheesy. The thing is though, the way YouTube works, without some initial views it's near impossible to get ranked in searches. If you aren't ranked in searches then you can't get those gateway videos that launch your channel. This is why so many people give up on YouTube, because to me, 0-100 subs was more difficult than 100-1000. Youtubers system favors popular channels and tends to hide small ones. An ad can help you overcome this.

And thanks to the mods for moving the thread. :)

Reactions: Courtney Candice

cmcollection

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Reviewer
Were you running ads on your channels videos while you did the campaign?

ohaple

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Were you running ads on your channels videos while you did the campaign?
Yes I was, but you do not gain money on views from the campaign. However, the views I gained certainly helped me kickstart things and tripled my views in a month.

J0rd9000

Reaction score
Some really nice tips here lad, I could do with taking these on board!