How to get consistent lighting/color over jump cuts?

Kev0192

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forums here and just invested in starting to build home/office studio and started a new channel for my wife.

I started filming with the Canon M50 for my wife's new Youtube series but when editing in post (FCPX) I noticed there are shifts in lighting and color extremely noticeable in jump cuts across takes.

I'm shooting in manual mode and my studio lights stay set. Can I (and how) do I fix this in post or is my shooting setup messed up?

Here's a YT video ID if it might help.

QkALby79Tvg

A good example can be found at the jump cut between 1:40-1:43. All takes filmed within a 20-minute window.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Kevin
Detroit, MI

Randy McKown

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer, Other
1st thing to look at is are the camera settings changing for any reason .. you're shooting manual mode so .. accidentally touched a shutter speed dial, using auto ISO and the light is fluctuating in the room ( even if blinds are closed direct sun going in and out of clouds could be a potential issue ), maybe the lights themselves are the problem ( kill all ambient light, lamps, fixtures, move to a windowless room or wait until night ... now record and see if you can simulate the issue ) .. also do you notice the light shift before doing any color correction or adjustments of any kind .. is the exposure shift actually in the raw data or possibly something you're doing during editing ... hope that helps.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Some editing programs allow for color correct but I don't have any personal experience with them. What you can do in the future is put b-role there. A static image that relates to what you are talking about. Then, when viewers return to your regular footage, they don't notice the light or color differences.