How To Get Better Tags

Truefolder

Indie games enthusiast
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Perhaps you should go back and read what I said again.

For example, I did a video on the THQ bankruptcy and I was running a little short on tags. So I typed THQ Bankruptcy into the search. Got a few videos talking about the same thing. grabbed the names of developers and such that were part of the bankruptcy that I hadn't thought to include in the tags originally.

If you think that using the google keyword tool is any more noble than looking for relevant keywords from lists other people used, you're misleading yourself.
Google has made Google Keyword Tool available; Google has hidden YouTube tags. The message is pretty clear.

Not trying to be an a** here, I just think that it's better to keep some things to ourselves man.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
So what your saying is you trust what people think about keywords rather than what Googles Search Algorithm does?
You have constructed a strawman. I cannot suitably respond as I did not argue such a position.

Apparently useful tips on where to find additional openly available information are not welcome. I'm somewhat surprised. It's the kind of response I would suspect if I suggested people sub4sub, not for people to use relevant videos as tag research.

Pity.

Unknown_User11

Account Closed Upon Request
Reaction score
You have constructed a strawman. I cannot suitably respond as I did not argue such a position.

Apparently useful tips on where to find additional openly available information are not welcome. I'm somewhat surprised. It's the kind of response I would suspect if I suggested people sub4sub, not for people to use relevant videos as tag research.

Pity.
The videos may be relevant, that does not mean that the people who uploaded the video used the correct and relevant tags from Google's Keyword Tool.

Telling people to grab tags randomly will not help anyone.

I'm not trying to insult you or be rude.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
The videos may be relevant, that does not mean that the people who uploaded the video used the correct and relevant tags from Google's Keyword Tool.

Telling people to grab tags randomly will not help anyone.
If you've used Google's Keyword tool then you know just how often it returns keywords that are in fact not relevant. This is because it is guessing based on statistical data from user searching. It takes vetting to utilize the Google keyword tool just as it would to use other videos as keyword research. One cannot just put a few words into the keyword tool and use everything it spits out because much of what it "suggests" won't be relevant to the video in question. If you could then that would be a far superior method in both accuracy and in time. Insert base keyword, sort suggestions by competition and/or search volume, use all. Thing is, nobody does this because half the list is garbage for your particular video.

I also didn't suggest people do random poaching.

What I did suggest was to type in the most relevant search you can think of based on the content of your own video. YouTube by default sorts by relevance which gives you a source of very relevant videos and by extending the logic that Google knows what it's doing, also have relevant tags. It is entirely likely that they will also have tags that aren't relevant like the posters name for example, thus the portion of my suggestion to remove those.

AreYouAwareBro

I check out your videos if you comment on mine!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've heard that only the first 3-4 keywords count towards actual search ranking and the rest all just determine what is show in the related videos next to your video

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I've heard that only the first 3-4 keywords count towards actual search ranking and the rest all just determine what is show in the related videos next to your video
There is a great deal of misinformation about how the google algorythm works. Sufficed to say, they don't let you control anything in that manner. If I could force the "related videos" via tags, that would create a great deal of system abuse.

At this point, the way the search rank works we understand. We just don't have the specific calculation. Tags are important, views and burst views are important which by extension makes subs important though subs themselves aren't counted in the search rank. Tags matching description and title are also important as are links to your video from other places and likes/favorites.

There are some who suspect that the original file name is even counted though that one feels a bit janky to me.

Reactions: AJBBB

Johnz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
This is the first time I've heard about this Google algorythm/Ajax sysm, how do they even work? Do they actually work? Any experiences from using these?

Back2RespawnYT

Entertainer :D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
I recommend using the google keywords tool. Copying other peoples tags doesn't guarantee that you are getting LOW - MED competition keywords with HIGH global searches. This could lead to using useless tags.
i agree with this because if you are getting relevant tags to your video that doesnt mean that you are not picking keywords that are nlt already saturated. the goal with keywording is to get a kwyword with med size compition and good market value but besides from that this helpwd lol

iAmWalid

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
this is quite impressive! it seems like the people who are at the top in the keyword im competing for have one word tags while i put them all in one! thanks for the tip :)