How To Get Better Tags

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Ok, so a lot of people will just tell you to write down a bunch of "related" keywords in your tags, but they don't tell you how to find those related keywords.

If you do some digging you'll find out about the Adwords Keyword tool that Google has which you can put some search terms into, and it will give you some related keywords for your tags. Problem is that it takes a long time and you have to keep adding and changing the search keywords to really find the best matches.

I have a different method though. Recently YouTube made Tags invisible on the video page so viewers can't see them. Or can they?

One of the best ways of utilizing tags is to steal them. Do a search for the main keyword or two of your video. This will bring up a whole bunch of videos, some of which may have very high views. These high view videos are the ones you want.

When you view a video, it has it's own webpage. And it's own webpage has programming code. Luckily for us, the Tags are hidden in the code. Right click on the video page and choose "view source". This will give you a big page of what looks like gibberish. It's not, I promise. CTRL+F to search for terms and type in "keyword". This should give you 1 of 3 results. You want to click next to get to result 3.

Beside result 3 encased in "quotation" marks and separated by,commas are all of the tags that video uses. You can copy and paste them to a notepad document. Then just go about removing the ones that don't apply such as the youtubers name which most of us tag every video with.

Repeat this for 3-4 videos while removing all duplicate tags. And once you're done, you'll have a nice diverse tag cloud that took far less time than using the Google keyword tool.

Shortbread

Reaction score
Neat. Hopefully people don't abuse this and only use it to help get relevant tags. Now that tags are hidden, it'll be harder to report when people just copy and paste all the tags from super popular videos.

unknown_user54763965546

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I just use YouTube and Google it self. Type the tags related to the video on YouTube or Google search bar, then the Ajax system will show you the popular tags.

Unknown_User11

Account Closed Upon Request
Reaction score
I recommend using the google keywords tool. Copying other peoples tags doesn't guarantee that you are getting LOW - MED competition keywords with HIGH global searches. This could lead to using useless tags.

Reactions: Back2RespawnYT

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
I recommend using the google keywords tool. Copying other peoples tags doesn't guarantee that you are getting LOW - MED competition keywords with HIGH global searches. This could lead to using useless tags.
Depending on your genre, it may be nigh impossible to get low and medium competition keywords. Like video games for example with any popular game it is quite hard.

There are two really good ways of driving views on YouTube. One is organic search which like you're saying it shooting for low competition keywords. The other is "suggested" videos which has more to do with linking your video in some fashion to other popular ones because you're similar in some way. Avoiding popular keywords just because they're high competition isn't necessarily the right move.

And while I presented this idea in a bit of a simplistic way, picking unique keywords can be difficult for many people. Combining known used keywords by bigger videos with the keyword tool would simply be superior to either system individually.

I personally do a combination of both. However if I simply don't have time, I'll just poach because the keyword tool takes much longer.

stravy gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This is great advices! I'm learning alot here on yttalk!

Truefolder

Indie games enthusiast
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Man, I gotta say I'm not for this... YouTube tags have been hidden for a reason, and this is not a good practice that is being encouraged here.

If you're doing it on your own, fine, I've done it, but please PLEASE don't promote this.

Unknown_User11

Reaction score
Man, I gotta say I'm not for this... YouTube tags have been hidden for a reason, and this is not a good practice that is being encouraged here.

If you're doing it on your own, fine, I've done it, but please PLEASE don't promote this.
I'm with you on this one. Relevant traffic is much more useful.

Reactions: Truefolder

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Perhaps you should go back and read what I said again.

For example, I did a video on the THQ bankruptcy and I was running a little short on tags. So I typed THQ Bankruptcy into the search. Got a few videos talking about the same thing. grabbed the names of developers and such that were part of the bankruptcy that I hadn't thought to include in the tags originally.

If you think that using the google keyword tool is any more noble than looking for relevant keywords from lists other people used, you're misleading yourself.

Reactions: MA_Vanrhijn

Unknown_User11

Reaction score
Perhaps you should go back and read what I said again.

For example, I did a video on the THQ bankruptcy and I was running a little short on tags. So I typed THQ Bankruptcy into the search. Got a few videos talking about the same thing. grabbed the names of developers and such that were part of the bankruptcy that I hadn't thought to include in the tags originally.

If you think that using the google keyword tool is any more noble than looking for relevant keywords from lists other people used, you're misleading yourself.
So what your saying is you trust what people think about keywords rather than what Googles Search Algorithm does?

Reactions: Truefolder