How to Focus When You are Shooting Alone?

Stachu

Not sexy and don't know it!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian

ArcticTalk

Tech nerd
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I do own a dslr and wjat I do is to use the wireless remote control that cost less than 10 dollars, take a picture woth me and then move the focus to manual so that the focus will not change anymore.

Another thing to think about is the aperture size. Usually a 1.4 or 1.8 does give a beautifull look but it os really hard to focus if you are alone. So I usually use around 3-5 (some on the between). Good luck with your videos! :)

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I’ve run into situations where I’ve recorded a whole video and realized it was out of focus...it sucks. Especially since there’s not too much post editing and software can do to help. I usually just do as others say and record a few seconds, stop, and check it. If there’s a way for you to flip the camera screen or attach it to a monitor so you can see yourself while recording, that could help.

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
You could set it to manual focus and/or change the screen to face you if you can. If you can’t use a mirror and place it behind your camera (so you can see what is being filmed) Then I suggest setting it to autofocus so it can find you, then when it finds and focuses on you change it to manual focus so it doesn’t keep refocusing.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use a Canon DSLR (70D) with a flip screen that can rotate towards the front of the camera and an additional Canon point and shoot camera (G7Xii) that features the same flip-around screen. This allows me to see myself as I’m filming, and if need be, I can adjust everything from the screens.

Look into your camera’s capabilities. Many DSLR’s and camcorders can be tethered to a laptop with a USB cable so that everything displays on the laptop screen, allowing you to adjust focus and other settings as needed.

Otherwise, it’s just gonna be trial and error, unfortunately.