How to find your style?

Marlee

Reaction score
At first I set up a youtube account to do a vlog but I kind of realized that I'm not completely all that great talking in front of a camera. I just feel like I lose track of what I'm going to say and it turns into rambling. I'm great at scripting but when it comes to executing the script, I can't seem to time what I'm going to say in an exciting manner (you know how timing is everything and the way you say stuff really attracts people). Perhaps I should just trash the vlog idea and do something else or maybe I just need practice?

If I do something different, I'm thinking of skits or perhaps I just need a new way to tackle how I handle my vlogs (like I try to be funny but it doesn't turn out that way. I'm thinking if I want to continue vlogging maybe I should create a persona. Like I find that I can have the appearance of being cute but my thoughts are kind of mostly dark, goofy/cute, random, honest, with just a pinch of sarcasm and I don't know how to channel that)
but I want to know how you figured out what you wanted to do and how you channeled your thoughts and ideas to fit who you wanted to be and how you want others to see you (you know what I mean?)

Also how did you teach yourself to time your words correctly and keep it exciting?

KGATV

YASSS
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
It just takes practice :) Almost everyone feels awkward in the beginning. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be infront of the camera. You can always just play around with different types of videos and see what kind fits you more :)

Matias Riojas III

The Don. (Donated $786)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well it took me a while to find my style. It will come to you eventually. Just let your stuff flow out. The best thing to do is find what your really passionate about and share it :).

SimplyRodney

I never knew I could change this. What the heck.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I feel you bro. I use to be VERY awkward in my vlogs, but now I'm far from awkward. Yes, it's a bit weird talking to a camera and even a bit nerve-wrecking (it was for me anyway), but you'll get used to it n___n Just try finding your comfort in making videos. It can be skits, rants, walk around vlogs, etc.

Jacob Alsobrook

Yes, I have pants. Do I wear them? No.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I finally found my style. Being a complete idiot! xD

TheRandomizerX

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I checked out a couple of your vlogs and thought they were good! I'm sure you will feel more comfortable as you continue to make them. I would keep doing your vlogs but you could also throw in some of your skits too and see how you like it. :)

SakuraPaws

YTtalk's Cute Kitty =^..^=
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
like with me...i cant run out of things to say cus theres so much going on, thats the reason i started vlogging so i could like document everything like a video diary for myself. So i dont have the problem of struggling for words.
With you, i would just...vlog when something happens or you have a subject to talk about, if you overthink it and are forcing youself to find something to talk about, its not going to be interesting for the audience to watch either,
Just takes time, relax and have fun with what your doing :)
x

Reaction score
At first I set up a youtube account to do a vlog but I kind of realized that I'm not completely all that great talking in front of a camera. I just feel like I lose track of what I'm going to say and it turns into rambling. I'm great at scripting but when it comes to executing the script, I can't seem to time what I'm going to say in an exciting manner (you know how timing is everything and the way you say stuff really attracts people). Perhaps I should just trash the vlog idea and do something else or maybe I just need practice?

If I do something different, I'm thinking of skits or perhaps I just need a new way to tackle how I handle my vlogs (like I try to be funny but it doesn't turn out that way. I'm thinking if I want to continue vlogging maybe I should create a persona. Like I find that I can have the appearance of being cute but my thoughts are kind of mostly dark, goofy/cute, random, honest, with just a pinch of sarcasm and I don't know how to channel that)
but I want to know how you figured out what you wanted to do and how you channeled your thoughts and ideas to fit who you wanted to be and how you want others to see you (you know what I mean?)

Also how did you teach yourself to time your words correctly and keep it exciting?
Point me to your "best" video - the one you're most proud of, and I'll be happy to go through and do some constructive critiquing, if it'll help :)

AikoMiyoko

Queen Of Spam, Married To Count Teribil
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I think that you shouldn't fret so much about finding your style. Keep making videos it will come to you eventually. As you grow, so will your experience with video making. Soon you'd be like...hey I could do this..or I could do that. Before you even know it, you'd be dishing out videos that are noteworthy. I think that style and personality cannot be forced. It is something that comes to you with practice and experience. :) My first videos were really bad too..but it gets better. That is for sure :) Good luck !

Reactions: SubjectSarah