Reaction score
hi everyone,

Just a quick advice question. We are a kid/family based channel. Videos on toys, fun days out etc apart from trying to make sure you have good video content, what other tips to keep your audience from clicking off your video before it has finished? I know that watch time/avaerage view duration is really important so any tips on how to keep kids engaged?

Thanks

Jetpi99 Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Especially if you're making videos for kids, attention span is important. Basically make sure you don't have boring parts in your video, especially not at the start. If the first few seconds are already boring most viewers will click away. So at the start be sure to have some instant action, at the later part it is not as bad as in the start, but still not good, to have some not so exciting bits. But if you have lots of bits that aren't very exciting, think about if you really need the in the video or if you can cut them out and still have your viewers understand what's happening. For example some unboxing that takes long can be cut out, just make sure it is recognisable, for example with a transition. Or for example, setting something up, if you have something that takes long, some repetitive action like assembling many identical small pieces, you can fast forward through that.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! My son is quite shy at the moment so there can be quiet bits! Would you recommend me initiating conversation in the vids? Obviously talking and asking about whatever it is we're doing?

Cheers

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've noticed a lot of the recent successful channels are hiding "Easter Eggs" in the videos to keep people watching to the very end. That may be something to try.

Obsurdity

Reaction score
Understand what open loops are and use them often. Study children shows that are notoriously 'sticky' such as Sesame Street & Blues Clues. Read the book Made to Stick... lots of examples of how children's shows create high engagement with young viewers.

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of the recent successful channels are hiding "Easter Eggs" in the videos to keep people watching to the very end. That may be something to try.
Thanks for the advice, will deffo try that tip![DOUBLEPOST=1505233242,1505232963][/DOUBLEPOST]
Understand what open loops are and use them often. Study children shows that are notoriously 'sticky' such as Sesame Street & Blues Clues. Read the book Made to Stick... lots of examples of how children's shows create high engagement with young viewers.
I've never heard of open loops so will deffo have to watch a few videos on that. Thank you for letting me know!