How to deal with so many collab requests?

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
As my channel gets bigger, I'm getting more and more people emailing or adding and befriending me to try to seek collabs. Most of them are very nice about it but many are small channels that it wouldn't be win-win if I collab with them, especially since it takes me 24-40 hours to make a video. I feel really bad I can't help them all, but what is a nice way of turning people down? Should I make a webpage that lists my requirements?

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I would like to know this too, following.

I usually tell people I only plan to collab with animating channels so try putting specific niche as a requirement.
But yeah, I would like to know if anyone has a specific way to deal with requests as well.
great question!

Edit: my biggest problem is that I understand them, I asked a few big youtubers for a collab as well, so I am in position to tell people we cant collab cos of different sub count. Plus I dont want to, but Im really busy lol.

try thinking of a way for you to collab with minimum effort and time required from you. For instance animators often animate just by giving a quick audio of their voice, which is quick, simple and effective.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Just like you, it takes me quite a lot of time and work to pump out a video, so doing collabs wouldn't make much sense for me.
I simply tell people that as much as I like to, I'm not currently doing any collabs so I can solely focus on improving my videos. Maybe some time down the line I would be open to the idea, but right now is just not a good time.

WinYourLife

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well I am a really small for now I have been watching you for weeks and of course I need collaborations, but If I was you I will make a video about it and tell them that if they want it, they have to deserve that for them not from you, but from them to them! Because for example if they will have 5 to 10 000 subscribers you can do a collaboration with them, so you can motivate them like this. In my opinion I KNOW THAT TO GROW I HAVE TO PUT MY OWN WORK FIRST! I will have collaborations and I know that, but to have success on this business you have to know/assume that you are 100% responsible for your own work!

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've been getting similar requests as well... One thing that I've been thinking of doing is a "mass collaboration." This would be where I ask my audience to help get involved with a video -- everyone can submit a video playing a particular song that I'd have a tutorial for. Then, I'd edit everything together to create a group ensemble. I think something like that would make any audience excited to help create something, and it would be a fun, meaningful project for a channel. It also would satisfy a lot of people who want to do a collaboration -- if it turns out great they'd probably share it with a lot of their friends, which is a win for everyone! ^_^

I'm not sure how that idea might fit with your channel, but I'm sure there's a topic out there that you can discuss with a larger group of people adding their own input and experiences. It's a lot of work, but it could be approached as another video content idea.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I've been getting similar requests as well... One thing that I've been thinking of doing is a "mass collaboration." This would be where I ask my audience to help get involved with a video -- everyone can submit a video playing a particular song that I'd have a tutorial for. Then, I'd edit everything together to create a group ensemble. I think something like that would make any audience excited to help create something, and it would be a fun, meaningful project for a channel. It also would satisfy a lot of people who want to do a collaboration -- if it turns out great they'd probably share it with a lot of their friends, which is a win for everyone! ^_^

I'm not sure how that idea might fit with your channel, but I'm sure there's a topic out there that you can discuss with a larger group of people adding their own input and experiences. It's a lot of work, but it could be approached as another video content idea.
Well it definitely turned a on light bulb and gave me a lot to think about. Forming a community is something I'm really trying to work on.

Just like you, it takes me quite a lot of time and work to pump out a video, so doing collabs wouldn't make much sense for me.
I simply tell people that as much as I like to, I'm not currently doing any collabs so I can solely focus on improving my videos. Maybe some time down the line I would be open to the idea, but right now is just not a good time.
I would follow this advice but the problem for me is that I announced in one of my other videos that I'm finally going to open the doors for collaboration, providing it's win-win.

Reactions: KatyAdelson