How To Create Your Show , Filming Tips And How To Grow Your Audience

Marc Baggett

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I had a very successful YouTube show through 2009 - 2013 and I'm creating a new one now so I'd figured I'd give out some tips to help out you guys to create your show and gain an audience. This post may be a little lengthy but should help build your YouTube show.

First off try and come up with some ideas on what you want your show to be about. Is it going to be acting? Comedy? Drama? or something more like reviews on Sports , Politics or tutorials? For me I decided to create my show as an actor and writing storylines and creating characters.

You wanna make sure you have good filming equipment. A good camera and microphone is a must have. I'd recommend an HD camera so the picture is clear and for the microphone I just use the one on the camera as it is very clear and doesn't pick up background noise.

Then decide where your going to film your show. Are you going to create your own set or just film on location or your house? I have a low budget so I film on location and my house. Wherever your filming make sure it's a quiet place so the microphone doesn't pick up background noise. If your filming in your house make sure the TV is off or on mute as background noise will be distracting for your viewers.

If you don't wanna write an entire script for your show / video just write down a few key points of what your character will say , action they will do or talk about. If your filming a show and mess up your lines just re-film the scene and don't get discouraged. (If you ever plan on having a blooper type episode keep the scenes you messed up so you can use them then.)

If your creating a review type show , discussion type show or a tutorial show just speak loud and clearly so your audience can hear you. Try to avoid pausing every few second and saying "um..." That is really annoying and viewers will stop watching. Be comfortable in front of the camera and make eye contact. Don't be staring out into space. Rehearse your show. If your telling a story rehearse what your character will do and rehearse the key lines of what your character will say so you can clearly tell the story and get the point across to your audience. If your filming a news , review , discussion or tutorial show rehearse what you wanna say and know about the subject your talking about. Film with confidence.

After you've edited your show / episode and upload it to YouTube you NEED TO ADVERTISE IT. If your a new YouTuber just don't think "Well I uploaded my video so now everyone will view it." No one will view your content if they don't know it exists.

Share your video and put up links to your video on Facebook and Twitter also get your family and friends to help by asking them to share your video on their social media accounts too.

Be consistent when uploading. I'd recommend uploading a new video once or twice a week. Your videos shouldn't be too long or people might not watch the entire video. I'd say a video about 2 - 5 minutes is good but of course make your episode / video as long as you need to so you can get your point across if your reviewing , telling a story or talking about news & politics. Just don't overdue it. If your making a tutorial make sure you explain it as simple as possible. For example if your doing a tutorial about a computer program or something use simple terms and explain everything step by step so people who might not know much about computers can follow along.

My last tip is to simply have fun and enjoy what your filming about. There will always be "haters" and criticism. Don't let them frustrate you. Just pay attention to those who do enjoy your content. Reply to their comments and be interactive with them. It will go a long way and they will keep coming back for more content from you.

I hope my tips help you out!

Reactions: darkstarmedia

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
These are great tips! I'm sure many people will find them useful.
Wishing you all the best with your new show!

Dont Wake The Insomniac

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm currently writing some scripts so this is useful to bear in mind. One thing to mention is when shooting outdoors you really need microphone covers to block out the sound of wind -- you'd be amazed at the difference in clarity.
It's also good to plan your script around available locations/resources. No point scripting a fight-scene unless you know people in a Martial Arts club willing to participate etc.. keep things reasonable

I'm currently interested in prop creation as I do arts/craft stuff in my spare time. I also use Photoshop so creating fake posters and books covers is within my grasp. Toy guns can be coated with effect paints or gold/silver leaf (used for craft jewelry usually). I can't post links so google so you can see what i'm talking about.

Reactions: Marc Baggett