How to begin short film?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay guys, I'm doing this short film for one of my classes. It's gonna be a horror based on some legend (I guess). So it is mainly set in a house, where the teenagers meet up. The parents are out and they are alone, and I guess you can work out what happened after that! But I don't know how I should start it all off. Do you think I should start off with them being in school being like 'see ya later' kinda thing or should I just begin at where they meet up? To me it seems to lack enough character exploration in the latter's case. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't reveal too much about the whole idea yet, as I am worried about someone will steal the idea and take originality (and marks) off my final piece xD not any of you guys of course though. Just in case anyone else would find this post doing the same sort of thing y'know?

Also does anyone have any tips for shooting classic style horrors? I mean I've watched enough to know a lot about them, but if anyone has any personal tips I'd love to hear them!

Thank you very much :)

JosPlays

Just being AWESOME
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
"How to begin short film?" with turning on the camera.

Trying to be funny here.... but I have no sense for humor so sorry.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I suck at comedy, but for the classic horror try using black and white film, those horrors are always the best.
Yeah I was gonna do it black and white. But then I thought I'd try mixing the old style, non-gore, hammer-esque films with a more modern feel in terms of cinematography etc. But I will be dulling the lighting, so certain shots will almost be black and white. However I'm using candles and I think that seeing them in colour would be more effective. But I am going to do experimentals in black and white! :)

StraightEdgeAngel777

A Rose In The Dark
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
I think you should leave it to where they are at home alone (I'm the type of person that likes to get right to the action when i'm watching movies lol)
Or how about this? How about this takes place not in their home but in some old abandon home they found on the way from school.

The door is unlocked, one say something like "I wonder what's in here?" The other say "Oh My God, it's just a house, probably for some poor sod who can't keep the house clean"
One says "Do you think we really should go in their? It could be against the law"
The cocky one says "What part of ABANDONED do you not understand"
They go in the house to find like gargoyle statues, webs, imp statues, etc. A very medieval type old mansion.
They think something is in the house but really it's the house itself that's alive.
Some die and some live. That sort of think XD. This idea sucks but it's the best i could come up with haha.[DOUBLEPOST=1346096513,1346096367][/DOUBLEPOST]Film effects: If you have Sony Vegas you can use the Night time effect or the overexposed effect. Go on youtube and look up The Dark Effect for Sony Vegas. I always thought that black and white with kind of a blueish tint was always perfect for scary movies.

Reactions: LaurenLaFox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you should leave it to where they are at home alone (I'm the type of person that likes to get right to the action when i'm watching movies lol)
Or how about this? How about this takes place not in their home but in some old abandon home they found on the way from school.

The door is unlocked, one say something like "I wonder what's in here?" The other say "Oh My God, it's just a house, probably for some poor sod who can't keep the house clean"
One says "Do you think we really should go in their? It could be against the law"
The cocky one says "What part of ABANDONED do you not understand"
They go in the house to find like gargoyle statues, webs, imp statues, etc. A very medieval type old mansion.
They think something is in the house but really it's the house itself that's alive.
Some die and some live. That sort of think XD. This idea sucks but it's the best i could come up with haha.

That's amazing! I really do like it. I was originally gonna use the old abandoned house idea...but the problem is where would I find one? haha there aren't really any that would be useable around my way...so that's why I was gonna use the main characters house! I already have an idea for what goes on in the house but I really like yours so maybe it could contribute to an experimental! Thanks!

StraightEdgeAngel777

A Rose In The Dark
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
That's amazing! I really do like it. I was originally gonna use the old abandoned house idea...but the problem is where would I find one? haha there aren't really any that would be useable around my way...so that's why I was gonna use the main characters house! I already have an idea for what goes on in the house but I really like yours so maybe it could contribute to an experimental! Thanks!
THANK YOU XD. I feel ya on trying to find a abandoned house lol. If you lived here you could find MANY lolz. It would be cool if you could gothify the main characters house to make it look abandoned. Add the extra spookiness. Glad you like the idea and GOOD LUCK.

You're channel is awesome btw, Subbed.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
THANK YOU XD. I feel ya on trying to find a abandoned house lol. If you lived here you could find MANY lolz. It would be cool if you could gothify the main characters house to make it look abandoned. Add the extra spookiness. Glad you like the idea and GOOD LUCK.

You're channel is awesome btw, Subbed.
Yeah I might just do that! We'll see how it works out :) since halloween's coming around I'm sure I could find some fake cob webs etc haha. Thank you for the advice! It's been noted! And thanks for subbing...you'll probably see it up some time in the future if all goes well!