How to be aware of copyrighted item in our vid?

Foriki

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Recently one of my video got copyrighted, I'm shocked of course (my first time), my video (gameplay walkthrough) claimed to have a track from a famous dj. I knew this dj for a long time but the track that contained in my video its what I've never heard.

So my question really is how do you know if the track that contained in one games is a copyrighted music/track?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would consider all music ascopyrighted unless I personally downloaded from the YouTube library.
That way I know im not going to get into trouble ever.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Everything is copyrighted. As soon as an original work is created, it has copyright that belongs to the creator. Then it is up to that creator to decide what he/she does with that copyrighted work. If nothing is specified, then the rule of thumb is that only the creator has the copyright and that nobody has permission to use it.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Adding to what others have said, there's a very simple rule I use to figure out if something is copyrighted and if I can use it or not...

Did you create it in its entirety?

If you didn't, then it's copyrighted and you would need to go about finding the necessary licenses in order to use it.

For things like movies, shows, or video games, each element has to be taken separately as well. You may have permission to use some of the footage, but not the music elements and so on.

It is far safer to assume everything is copyrighted then to use something and hope for the best.

Reactions: Crown and Cephus

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
And as YouTube goes on, they are cracking down more and more on anything that is not completely original content. I think there's going to come a time, sooner rather than later, where all non-original channels are going to be demonetized or simply deleted. That means all video game channels will be gone. All review channels will be gone. All music channels will be gone. Anything that can be copyright claimed will not exist on YouTube, period. It seems to be the direction they're going and all of their current best practice suggestions support this.

Reactions: Crown and Shakycow

Foriki

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks guys I'll take note of you guys suggestions :)

Reactions: Crown

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
All music channels will be gone.
And that my friends, will be the end of YouTube Music!

Because Cephus (and I really wish you would think about what your words are actually saying before you post), If all music channels are removed, there will be no channels owned by legit record labels and digital distributors, no official artist channels, no Sony Music channels, no Disney Muscial Excerpt channels, no Warner Music or UMG channels, and definitely no VEVO channels.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
And that my friends, will be the end of YouTube Music!

Because Cephus (and I really wish you would think about what your words are actually saying before you post), If all music channels are removed, there will be no channels owned by legit record labels and digital distributors, no official artist channels, no Sony Music channels, no Disney Muscial Excerpt channels, no Warner Music or UMG channels, and definitely no VEVO channels.
Obviously people who are legitimate copyright holders could still post, but everyone else... no. And I'd be entirely fine with that.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Obviously people who are legitimate copyright holders could still post, but everyone else... no. And I'd be entirely fine with that.
I just got out of hospital.

There are many legitimate copyright holders who are being demonetized by YouTube at the moment, @Cephus. Not necessarily because of any "reuse of content", either. A lot of channels are losing their monetization due to there simply being too many channels of the same content type; and YouTube is now using "Reused Content" as an umbrella term in these cases. Here is a direct quote from the new Adsense Content Quality Guidelines which bears out my statement.

"Reused content. This is content that doesn't provide significant original commentary or educational value. It may also mean that we've identified that large portions of your channel either completely match other content, or are noticeably similar."

I'd like to add that the copyright holders who are being demonetized are non-major, indie media creators.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ultimately, I think YouTube is trying to get rid of the vast majority of monetized channels. The worst thing they ever did was allow mass monetization in the first place. YouTube was always about people uploading cat videos and the like. Now it's all about money. It's killed the platform. I've seen people suggest that YouTube might be trying to get down to between 100,000 and 500,000 monetized channels and everyone else won't be.

And I'd be fine with that.

Reactions: UKHypnotist